Masamune Date Romantic Route Chapter 13

Masamune: "Don't worry, lass. Whoever it is, I'll protect you."

Mai: "I know." We'll be okay.  I stayed close to Masamune and watched the woods with him. The sound of horses' hooves got louder. The leaves rustled, and someone appeared out of the darkness.

Ieyasu: "Masamune! Mai!"

Mai: "Ieyasu!"

Masamune: "Oh, it was just you."

Ieyasu: ". . . You're all right." Ieyasu dismounted his horse, looking relieved.

Mai: "You came searching for us. Thanks." When I stepped out to thank him, Ieyasu suddenly looked away from me.

Ieyasu: "I warned you about Masamune, Mai." He was making an effort to sound harsh, but I knew it was because he was worried. Even if he wouldn't admit it in this lifetime. He wouldn't have come all this way out to find us if he wasn't. Ieyasu's negativity is all talk

Ieyasu handed a sword to Masamune. It was the one Masamune dropped as we jumped. "You left this up on the cliff, by the way."

Masamune: "Thanks for bringing it. I was going to pick it up on our way back."

Ieyasu: "How did you even survive a jump like that? That's inhuman. You're inhuman. At the very least, you should've been swept away by the river. You alone, I mean. Mai can stay."

Masamune: "You know this river feeds into a lake, right? I wouldn't have been swept out to sea."

Ieyasu: "Then go get swept out into the lake." Ieyasu doesn't hold back for anyone. I had thought it was just me.  But it was obvious his anger was a mask for his concern. He really does say the opposite of what he means. Meaning, Ieyasu really cares deeply about others. 

I knew enough about him to not be thrown off by the way the two of them prodded each other. Ieyasu gave us a quick exam for wounds as he led Masamune's horse over. "Here. Let's just get back. Your clothes are still wet. If you loiter around, you'll both catch colds, and I'll have to be the one to take care of you."

Masamune: "You brought my horse. Thanks again." Masamune hopped up onto his horse. "Mai. Your hand?" Masamune offered me his hand, and as always, I reached to take it--

Ieyasu: "You're riding with me." Oh?  When I reached my hand out to Masamune, it was Ieyasu who took my hand instead. He pulled me over to his horse. Then he lifted me up and pushed me on without so much as a word.

Mai: "Um, Ieyasu--"

Ieyasu: "Now, sit."

Mai: "I'm sitting. Why am I riding with you?" I settled onto the saddle. Ieyasu mounted gracefully behind me. Doctor's orders and all, I guess. But--?

Masamune: "Yeah. Why is she riding with you?" Masamune rode his horse up next to Ieyasu's, eyeing him unhappily.

Ieyasu: "Because you're still wet and cold, and I'm not, genius. She'll warm up faster with me."

Masamune: "And you're fine leaving me wet and cold? I thought you were worried about us getting sick?"

Ieyasu: "Yes, well, if you get sick you'll be fine. You always are. Nothing can kill you. 

". . . You two scared the hell out of me. Give me this one." His voice was soft.

He urged his horse back the way he had come. He was really worried! That said, Ieyasu may be secretly nice, but he can really bite! I'm glad I stayed out of that argument. Thanks for being so concerned about us, though.