Masamune Date The Secret Life of Warlords [September 2019] Chapter 2

Mitsuhide: "We're going inside." Won't he notice us if we do that?

Mai: "But he'll spot us for sure!" Mitsuhide shot me a confident smile.

Mitsuhide: "You need to be willing to get in close if you want to get anywhere."

************
Pulling my hat down low to hide my face, I stepped nervously into the tavern. Even though it was daytime, the tavern was a lively place. As long as we didn't interact with him, Masamune wouldn't notice us.

Mitsuhide: "Table for two."

Waiter: "Right this way, sir." Mitsuhide sure seems comfortable here.  I couldn't help be impressed by how well Mitsuhide blended in and adapted to his surroundings. Now, where has Masamune gone?  As we were led to a table in the corner, I searched the room as inconspicuously as I could. Hm? I don't see him anywhere. But we definitely saw him come in.  Seeing the confusion on my face, Mitsuhide's lips turned up in a crooked grin.

Mitsuhide: "He must be-- inside." Inside? Inside where?  Mitsuhide seemed to have figured something out.

Mai: "Mitsuhide, what did you mean when--"

Waiter: "Here are your drinks. Be careful, they're hot."

Mai: "Oh, thank you." My question was interrupted when the waiter brought us our tea. When I looked at him again, Mitsuhide was staring at something. So, I followed his gaze and-- Oh!

I spotted Masamune emerging from the kitchen and quickly hid my face behind the menu. Mitsuhide spoke up in a mischievous tone.

Mitsuhide: "You're making yourself stand out. Just act natural." He's enjoying this isn't he?

Mai: "Natural? I think you're too calm about this, Mitsuhide."

Mitsuhide: "Calm is exactly what you need to be when you're tailing someone." Well, I suppose I could stand to act more natural so I don't draw anyone's attention.  I lowered the menu and saw Masamune speaking with the tavern owner.

Owner: "Lord Masamune, please feel free to come back whenever you like."

Masamune: "Thanks. I'll definitely come again." Could he be working part-time in the kitchen here?  As soon as the thought popped into my mind, I shook my head. No matter how much he loves cooking, a warlord would never moonlight as a tavern cook.  As I contemplated the situation, Mitsuhide interrupted my thoughts.

Mitsuhide: "Time to go." He stood up and briskly walked toward the door. "We need to get moving before we lose him." Realizing that Mitsuhide had already paid the bill, I quickly got up and followed him.

************
After leaving the tavern Masamune's next stop was--

Mitsuhide: "An incense shop." The scent of the shop's wares wafted all the way outside to the street. Masamune lights incense all the time, so it seems perfectly natural for him to come here.  But as I watched the storefront from the shadows, a pretty woman stepped out and smiled warmly at him.

Proprietress: "I got your letter."

Masamune: "I'm sorry for the sudden request." Huh?  My heart began to race painfully as I watched Masamune speak to a woman with a bewitching smile. He must be talking about a letter he sent to order something from her shop. Right?

Mitsuhide: "That woman owns the shop and she's married to a famously devoted husband. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about." Mitsuhide seemed to have detected my concerns and tried to assuage them.

Mai: "Oh, is that right?" That's good to know.  Breathing a sigh of relief, I continued to watch them.

Proprietress: "I have your order right here. I think this should satisfy you." The woman handed Masamune a parcel.

Masamune: "Great, thanks." After taking a peek at the contents, Masamune accepted the parcel.

Proprietress: "It has a soothing scent that helps one sleep soundly. Are you having troubles sleeping?"

Masamune: "Something like that." Masamune's not getting enough sleep? He has been really busy lately. He must be exhausted.  Mitsuhide barely stifled a laugh as he looked at my concerned expression.

Mai: "You find something about this funny?"

Mitsuhide: "Oh, no. I just find your constantly changing facial expressions amusing."

Mai: "I'm not in the mood for your teasing!" I snapped back at him without a second thought.

Masamune: "Hm?" And Masamune began to look around as if he had heard my voice. Oh, no! Did he spot us?  But just then, Mitsuhide covered my mouth with his hand.

Mai: "Mph!" Mitsuhide?  And he pulled us both further into the shadows of the alleyway.

Mitsuhide: "Shh--" Once Masamune had moved on Mitsuhide finally let go of me.

Mai: "What was that?!"

Mitsuhide: "Don't raise your voice, or Masamune will notice us!" Uh-- Yeah, I guess that was my fault.

Mai: "I'll be more careful from now on."

Mitsuhide: "It's going to take a lot of work to turn you into a real spy."

Mai: "I don't want to be a spy, anyway! Oh!" As we bickered in hushed voices, I noticed Masamune go into another shop. That's the fabric shop I always go to.  "What business does he have there?" We continued to watch from the shadows, but Masamune didn't come out.

Mitsuhide: "Do you have any inklings about why he'd go to that shop?"

Mai: "Hmmm." Maybe--
          ******
          Mai: "So, I was thinking I should get some new sewing tools to ensure I can make the best kimonos possible. And, if I'm getting new tools, I might as well get the very best. So, I need to work hard to save up the money for them."

          Masamune: "If there's ever something you want, you can just tell me and I'll buy it for you."

          Mai: "Thanks, but it feels good to have a goal to work toward. You know?"

          Masamune: "It's just like you to think that way. If that's how you feel, then I support you one-hundred percent."
          ******
Is he going there because I mentioned I wanted new sewing tools?

Mitsuhide: "Looks like you have nothing to be suspicious of. Isn't that nice?"

The grin on Mitsuhide's face suggested he already knew what was going on. Did he bring me on this chase today to get me to realize what he already knew about Masamune's plans?  One glance at Mitsuhide made it clear he wasn't going to fill me in on his own thoughts.

Following Masamune in secret does make it seem like I don't trust him. I feel bad about that. When I see Masamune tonight, I'm going to come clean about everything.  A guilty feeling was rising within me, when--

Mai: "Hm?" Somebody lifted the hat right off my head. "Ah!" Before I could turn to look, strong arms embraced me from behind.

Masamune: "What are you up to?" The whisper of my beloved's voice in my ear made my heart skip a beat.

Mai: "Masamune!"