Masamune Date Chapter 2

Masamune: "He's just confessed to treason, right? And he says, it's one's lord who determines whether you live or die. His rules. And we were told to take whatever measures we deem necessary." Masamune--?

Masamune's voice kept its pleased tone, and that, more than his words, made my blood run cold. My mind began to scream the way it does in a horror movie when someone's about to die. Who is this?  I felt like I was staring at a completely different man. My heartbeat was sickeningly slow. "If you want to live, drop your weapons and go back to your farms now. As for everyone else? Make one move and you die."

Yoshitoshi: "What are you all doing‽ Strike back!" Desperate, Yoshitoshi shouted orders to his men, but it wasn't enough to break up the standoff.

Masamune: "As much as I'd love to take you all on, and I would win, it's time to choose a side. We don't have 500 years! Do you really want to die for this guy?"

Yoshitoshi: "Don't listen to him! Go! Get them!" I watched with dread as the attack began. Masamune shifted his sword, deflecting an enemy attack. His blade let out a high-pitched metallic shriek.

Kojuro: "Follow Lord Masamune! Don't fall behind!"

Farmer: "Y-yeah! Let's do this!" The farmers joined Masamune's men. With cries for justice, they charged the enemy.

Hideyoshi: "Will he never learn that a commander's job is to command, not to lead the charge? Nevertheless, he's not alone. Let's go! But focus your efforts on capturing the daimyo."

Vassal: "Yes, my lord!" Hideyoshi drew his sword and carved his way into the fray with his men. I thought Masamune had talked them all out of a fight. But even Yoshitoshi must have loyal men working for him. And now, they're all actually swinging swords at each other! This is real. People are getting hurt--

Mai: "Whoa!" I narrowly stepped out of the way of a wild sword swing. To my side, I saw Ieyasu.

Ieyasu: "Don't stand around or you're going to get killed."

Mai: "Ieyasu, where should I--"

Ieyasu: "Just find a corner to hide in until it's over."

Mai: ". . . All right." This battle was utter chaos. Leaving it to the trained fighters was the right decision.

Ieyasu: "Those farmers should just run too instead of trying to get involved."

Mai: "They are armed though."

Ieyasu: "That won't stop them from getting caught in the middle and dying." Dying--  The thought of dying in this foreign time period scared me, but really, dying anywhere was just as bad. The clashes, groans, and cries grew louder in my ears. I looked around for Masamune.

Masamune: "Out of the way." Masamune was closing in on Yoshitoshi, but a guard stood in his way.

Enemy Warrior: "Urgh--!" With a flash of Masamune's sword, the guard fell to the floor with a pained cry. Masamune is a tough swordsman all right. But--

His eye burning, Masamune continued inexorably forward, cutting through more of Yoshitoshi's guards. He bared his teeth like a feral animal. So many people are getting hurt in this fight. Yet, Masamune looks completely in his element. Efficient. Brutal. Is this really the same guy as yesterday?

I was unable to tear my eyes away from him. That's when I saw Yoshitoshi cowering toward the back door, he slid it open-- But I lost sight of him as two swords clashed in front of me.

Ieyasu: "Don't you have eyes? You know what, it's not safe here either." Ieyasu struck down an enemy soldier who had broken from the pack to come for me. "Hiding's not working. Just go. My men are stationed at the back gate. Head there."