Chapter 23 - Doll

"I'm not even going to ask. Y/N follow me," Tony said turning around and continuing to walk leaving Steve on the floor.

We walk into the lab. Bruce and Bucky are by some screens pointing things out and discussing who knows what.

I hesitate in the doorway; seeing Bucky made everything come back.

Bucky looked up his eyes meeting mine. "I can leave if you want me to, doll. This might be difficult and I thought you might want someone with you," Bucky said sweetly and gently.

I lower my head shifting my weight from one foot to the other. After a few seconds, I look up "It's ok. You can stay. Thank you," I reply fiddling with my fingers.

I walk over to the group looking at the screens trying to understand what they were talking about. "So, what are we going to do?" I ask, feeling totally terrified of their answer.

Bruce looked in my direction pointing out certain things on the screen. I nodded and tried to follow along. "We need to inject a serum into you that will disarm the mind control implant in your skull." He took a deep breath and continued. "And then we need to remove the implant. It's going to be... painful," he continued pondering at what word to use before settling on painful.

I shuddered feeling totally paralysed with fear. Painful was not the right word for what I was about to go through.

"I need you to promise me you'll heal yourself immediately afterwards. Otherwise I will not authorise this." Bruce added calmly.

I knew I had to get rid of the mind control. I couldn't live with myself if I hurt anyone else. I nodded quickly pushing everything out of my mind. "Yeah ok,"

"How long will it take?" I ask trying to remain confident but instead I felt like a bird in a cage. 

Tony rested his hand on my shoulder squeezing them gently to reassure me. "Hopefully only about 15 minutes," he said delicately.

"Can you handle it?" he asked kneeling down to my level.

"She can handle it!" Bucky exclaimed almost annoyed at Tony's naivety. "She is stronger than she believes!" he continued. I looked towards him not fully meeting his gaze but enough for him to acknowledge my thankfulness. I smiled at him. His words had made me feel confident. Something I hadn't felt in a long time.

"Thanks Buck," I mutter causing him to smile back.

"Do you want me to get Nat to stay with you through this?" he asked caringly.

I thought for a second. If this was as bad as I assumed it would be then that is the last thing I wanted Nat to see.

I shook my head quickly. "No! Please don't. I don't want her to see me like this," I say defensively.

"Ok. Ok, that's fine doll. I'm here for you," Bucky added.

"Let's get started!" Bruce exclaimed loudly and quickly making me jump and flinch slightly.

I sit on the bed and let out a shaky breath that I didn't realise I had been holding. 

I laid back resting my head against the bed. I spread my limbs out as they moved around me. They fitted the restraints all over my body. My wrists, ankles, knees, stomach and forehead. 

I squeezed my eyes shut. Nausea stirred around my stomach threatening to make an appearance.

"I can't do this," I cry, tears beginning to form in my eyes.

"Yes you can doll. Squeeze my hand," Bucky said reassuringly as he interlocked his fingers with my own. 

I focused all my attention on the feeling of his warm fingers. His thumb rubbed the back of my hand as I softly held his hand a little tighter. 

"Ready?" Tony asked. I looked at Bucky. I could feel myself slightly shaking. He smiled and nodded. I looked up at Tony.

"Ready."

Sorry that this is quite short. I will try and get another part out in a few hours. Stick around!