Fresh Start

Between layovers and flying time, it takes me nearly 20 hours to reach Incheon airport. I never sleep well on planes. As I begin to navigate the Korean airport, I don't know if I'm more exhausted or nervous. Luckily, I see Lily waiting for me at the gate which takes most of my nerves away. She greets me with a hug.

"I missed you!" She exclaims.

"You have no idea how good it is to see a friendly face here." I smile at her.

She links her arm through mine and pulls me in the direction of baggage claim. "Come on, let's go home!"

Home!

Lily has a car waiting for us right outside of the airport. We climb in the backseat together and she gives me a mini tour on the ride over to our apartment complex. The driver takes the long way, driving by Han River and Lotte World, among other places. I managed to learn Hangeul before the move, so I can read most of the signs I see as we drive past. I just don't know what they mean yet. I make a mental reminder to sign up for a class to learn Korean.

As we reach Olympic Park and the JYP building, I roll the window down to see better. The building has a glass front with what looks like some sort of courtyard on the roof. We drive just a couple of blocks over to the apartment complex. I can literally walk to work!

I follow Lily to the fifth floor, carrying my small suitcase with me. She hands me the key and allows me to do the honors. I open the door and step foot into my new home. It's small, but it's all the space I need. There's a tiny entry way that opens right to a bathroom, and left to a galley kitchen. The main living area is bright with tall ceilings, and there's a sliding glass door that opens up to a quaint balcony. There are wooden stairs inside that lead to a loft area, where my bedroom will be. The apartment is fully furnished, aside from a bed. Lily assures me that the couch is comfortable enough to sleep on until I can buy a bed.

"All utilities are paid for by JYP. All you have to worry about is groceries. And decorating, of course!" Lily explains.

"I expect you to tag along for ALL the decoration and grocery shopping!"

"Of course! That's what friends are for!"

Lily leaves me to rest with the key and the address to my storage unit so that I can get the rest of my stuff whenever. Right now I only have my suitcase with clothes and a carry on with toiletries and other necessities, but I unpack both bags right away. I step outside onto my balcony. It's chilly just like it was in New York, but the air seems crisper. I have a great view of the district and the city. I'm optimistic that the hustle and bustle of Seoul will feel like home.

I walk back inside and sit on the couch. It is surprisingly comfortable, just like Lily said. I turn on the tv and begin flipping through channels, but of course everything is in Korean so it's impossible to follow. I'll have to set up my Netflix account later. Before I can decide on a channel, I doze off, completely wiped out from my trip.

When I wake up, it's dark outside, the only light in my apartment coming from the tv. It's eerie and for the first time it hits me that I live by myself for the first time ever. In a foreign country. I shake off the uneasiness, knowing that Lily is just a text or call away. My stomach growls. Shit. I forgot to ask her about places to get good food. I reach for my phone to text her, but find that she already sent me a message while I was asleep.

Lily 8:23pm- Forgot to tell you. Kitchen is stocked. :)

Sage 11:04pm- You're literally a life saver.

After eating a bowl of cereal, I sit back down on the couch. There's not much to do except scroll through my phone. I debate reaching out to Changbin again. He'll soon find out that I'm here. I just don't know if I should give him a heads up or not. What if he's completely moved on and doesn't expect to see me ever again? Facing him at work would be super awkward. I chicken out and put my phone down. I remember what Lily said about Felix asking for me. I decide that keeping the surprise for him is going to be my reason not to text Changbin.