Chapter 21: Fighting for you

Arabella

As I quickly paced to the kitchen with Leon's keys wrapped up in my tight grip within my pocket, I glanced at all the guards who seemed on edge. 

Smirking to myself, I skipped innocently down the halls in search for the only person I now trusted apart from Leon.

Ignoring all the stares, I burst into the kitchen to see Vera stirring a large pot with a forlorn expression on her face.

"Vera!".

Vera jumped around at my loud voice and rested her hand over her heart.

"Dear, is everything alright?" she gasped out as she grabbed at the tea towel to wipe her hands.

"Vera, something very bad is happening. I just need you to follow me. Please, don't say anything to anyone".

Realising I was not joking around, I hurried out the kitchen and quickly walked towards the stairs trying to act like nothing was wrong. But I was too fearful someone would strike in the minute I had left Leon alone.

"Is everything alright Miss?".

Screaming out in fright at the sudden appearance of two guards in front of me, I looked back at Vera with a panicked look.

Smart. Be smart Arabella.

"If you must know, I'm having a female crisis. My period started unexpectedly and now there's a blood stain on my bed and, I, I"-

Both guards looked suddenly extremely pale and slowly parted way for me.

"Now, I'd advise you to stay away from me. My mood swings can get pretty bad, so much so that I may choose to ram a boot up your butt if you put your nose in my business again. Understood?".

The two men gave me a quick nod before excusing themselves faster than they had appeared.

"Bloody bastards" Vera sneered lowly behind me.

Looking back at her with a smirk on my face, I gestured for her to follow me closely and turned back to the stairs.

At least the guards wouldn't be bothering me for a while.

Running through the hallways, I looked around and quickly grasped the handle to Leon's bedroom.

Inserting the key into the lock, I shoved it back into my pocket before opening the door.

Ushering Vera in, I quietly closed the door behind us and made sure to lock it after us.

"Oh my boy, he looks so unwell" Vera rushed over to him and rested the back of her hand on Leon's forehead.

"Vera. Someone is drugging him".

Pointing to the split open cigarettes and tablets, I bit on my nail nervously as she walked over and assessed the white powder.

Looking at the door anxiously, I turned back to Vera who was still examining the drugs with a determined look on her face.

"Vera. I am not sure what's going on. But you have to help me get him off it. And we have to do it in secret. I believe everyone is trying to keep him on it. Please, I need my old Leon back" I started to cry knowing I didn't have Alec to take over all my worries. 

Vera walked over towards Leon sleeping peacefully, I walked to the other side of the bed and watched as she ran her finger down his cheek.

He had always told me she was like the grandma he never had and I knew she thought of him like a grandson.

"We just need to keep him here, long enough for the effects of whatever it is to wear off. And we must convince the guards he's not here. We cannot trust anyone" I pleaded with her as she continued to stroke Leon's sweaty forehead.