Chapter 50: Adjusting to new life

4 days later

Leon

Adjusting the seat of my sun lounger, I smiled in content watching Arabella play and reunite her dogs.

She looked like some kind of princess today with her long hair flowing in the wind whilst running around the garden wearing a flowy floral dress.

Her dress was light in colour, but my baby wasn't fazed by the dogs adorably jumping up at her and climbing over her when she fell over.

It had been 4 days since I explained everything to Arabella. And it had been the worst four days of my life so far.

She had been completely broken. I didn't even know it was possible, but she cried in her sleep every single night. I had slept beside her since she refused to leave my side. As for Alec, I could hear him sleep outside her bedroom door like a bodyguard. His breathing was heavy and at times, I also heard him cry. 

Alec had distanced himself from both of us. He buried his head in work or hit the gym. He didn't say his reason why, but I reckon it's because he wants Arabella and I have to have quality time together alone.

Even though I had expressed my wishes, I felt a pain seeing my wife and my best friend breaking down over my decisions.

But the idea of spending time in hospital undergoing treatment which may not work was not something I was keen to do. 

It still hurt all the same.

"Hey, love".

Looking over at Vera, I smiled at her as she sat down in the chair next to me before offering me a cup of tea.

"I'm so glad it's all over and you're all back home" she rested her hand on my cheek before shoving a large chocolate chip muffin in my hand.

"Vera. You're trying to fatten me up" I scoffed as I started unwrapping it unable to resist her insane baking skills.

"Well my boy, you've lost far too much weight. So I'm going to bake your favourite goodies every single day until you're looking more like yourself" she chuckled as she took both of my hands in hers whilst joining me in silently watching Arabella.

"How's she doing? It's nice that she's finally smiling" Vera sighed sadly.

I told her separately about the terminal diagnosis. I knew she too was heartbroken, but just like a mother with her children, she tried her best to keep it together and told me it was going to be okay.

"She's finally sleeping through the night without crying. She needs time to adjust, but I have a list of exciting things to do to keep her mind preoccupied. But she left her laptop open and I know I shouldn't have looked, but even though she's accepted my wishes, her browser history was full of brain cancer research. She's trying to find me medical help" I sighed sadly as I watched Arabella being playfully attacked by the puppies which resembled a horde of zombies.

Vera lifted my hand up and placed a gentle kiss on my skin before urging me to drink my tea.

"She's frightened, my boy. You managed to bring her home, but trauma doesn't disappear instantly. She came home thinking the worst was over, but instead was told some heartbreaking news. Some people take longer to process difficult things. Just give her some time, Leon. Perhaps she's just trying to understand to make it easier to wrap her head around things".

Just like always, Vera was the sound of reason. An outside perspective on things.

"I will, thank you, Vera" I smiled before resting my head on her shoulder.

"And how's Alec coping? I haven't seen him in a little while. Where is he?" Vera asked, but I froze completely unsure of what to say.

"He's okay. Just buried in a lot of work" I lied knowing exactly where he was upon Hank's orders.