Chapter 40: All actions have consequences

Arabella

"That'll be £12:55, ma'am" the cashier said to the woman holding a young baby in one arm and struggling to find her purse with her free hand.

Hugging my hand around Alec's arm, my fingers fiddled with his leather bracelet tassels around his wrist whilst we waited to be served.

"Sorry to be a nuisance, but would you be able to hold my son whilst I run back to my car to collect my purse. It's only outside. Is that alright?" the frantic mum asked Alec who was humming happily to the background music of the cafe.

"No problem. Come here, little man".

I think my ovaries burst as the woman handed her adorable baby over to Alec before running out of the shop with her car keys in tow.

"You are the cutest" I cooed at the baby, laughing as the baby pulled an adorable expression which gave him 2 double chins.

"I'll pay for her drinks" Alec smiled to the tired barista before swiping his contactless card over the scanner with the baby secure in his other arm. 

"That's very kind of you, Sir" the barista smiled as she placed the woman's drinks to the side before ordering ours.

"I'm afraid you're a little young for coffee little dude. But how's about a cookie? You like that idea?" Alec tapped the baby on the nose who received a cheeky grin from the baby.

The things I'd let him do to me to get me pregnant. 

Admiring the man who was my everything, I couldn't help but imagine how much of an amazing dad he would be. He'd be so protective, he would be so supportive and he'd love our child unconditionally.

Watching on quietly, I felt my heart skip a beat as the baby got hold of Alec's leather bracelet and begun to play with the tassels, just like I do.

"I can't wait to have babies with you" Alec suddenly blurted out as he snuck me a quick glance before chuckling lightly as the baby's eyes were starting to close whilst resting against Alec's chest.

"Me too" I smiled at him.

"I would be there at your every beck and call. You got weird food cravings, my queen will have whatever she wants. The way your feet will get swollen and I'll always be there to massage them and, damn you'll be amazing mum" Alec smiled, his eyes holding a spark as if he couldn't wait to become a daddy.

"I can't wait" I lent into his side admiring him holding a baby so effortlessly. And I'm not surprised the baby fell asleep fast. With how warm he always is mixed with the comforting smell of his cologne, he could calm down an enraged bull.

"Here, sorry. I'm not usually this forgetful" the woman rushed back in and went to insert her card into the scanner.

"It's already been paid for ma'am, this kind gentleman here offered" the barista smiled as she pushed over the tray of drinks towards her.

The stressed out mum looked over at us with tears in her eyes as she looked down at her peacefully sleeping baby.

"That's so kind of you, but please let me pay you back and"-

"Absolutely not. There's not enough kindness in the world, so just enjoy your drinks and some food for your family" Alec added as he pushed forward the sandwiches and cakes that he had purchased for the woman.

"You are so kind. Thank you so much" the woman choked back tears that threatened to fall.

"We'll help you back to the car, if you'd like?" I offered as I picked up our drinks.