Chapter 32: Life is too short

Alec

"What are you scared of Alec? Is there anything you're afraid of?".

"Absolutely nothing".

"I'm sure that's not true. Everyone is afraid of something? You not scared of spiders?".

"Nope".

"What about fireworks?".

"No way! I love fireworks".

"Well, I am sure you will find something that scares you in life you and that's okay. It's how you deal with it that is that important lesson".

I don't remember much from my shitty childhood, but that one lesson in school has forever stayed with me. I still remember sitting in a circle going round one by one with every other child telling the teacher what scares them. I was the only one with no fear. Everything she challenged me on with what other children were scared of, I loved. Spiders, I loved them. Fireworks, I enjoyed them.

Even with all the years in this line of work, nothing still scared me, until she came into my life.

Arabella is literally the living and breathing definition of a fallen angel. I am not one for superstitions or shit like that, but I believe she is my guardian angel sent from heaven to spend eternity with me. But with angels there are also demons. The world is fucked up and there are people that prey on people like Arabella. There isn't a bad bone in her body and that drives me crazy. 

Sometimes I wanna tell her to shout at creeps that make her uncomfortable and scream at them to go fuck themselves instead of feeling so intimidated and scared of saying no. I want her to not be afraid to kick a guy in the nuts if he dares lay a hand on her with her consent. Of course, she has Leon and I and we wouldn't let a guy come into any close proximity to her.

So I guess my teacher was right all along because I am fucking terrified of losing Arabella.

Leaning back in my chair, I looked over at Arabella who was now fast asleep snoring lightly after she was attacked from both ends.

"She did so well" Leon smiled lightly as he took a sip of his drink.

"For such a small girl, she's got some fucking stamina" I laughed out still amazed that it was only one day since she lost her virginity and she's already had sex three times in one day.

"Probably why she was so wiped out. I think she struggled mentally with that one" Leon added, his eyes showing signs of uneasiness.

"Well, well, well. Look at you. The cold hearted Leon Cappello is finally defrosting his ice cold heart. Since when did you get good on reading emotions? You always leave that to me" I chuckled out, but I already knew the answer.

Arabella's name meant an 'answer to prayer'. For me she healed my loneliness and for Leon she was breaking down his stone cold heart. 

"Fuck off, Alec. I'm trying. It's not easy for me. Women can be complicated. Like, I've learnt that if Arabella says she's 'fine' then it means she's not 'fine'. It's not easy, but I got myself a book on understanding women. I know you normally look after her when she's sad or on her period, but I wanna step up and know how to support her when you're away on business".

It was weird hearing Leon being so concerned about Arabella and her feelings. If I wasn't sure, it seemed like Leon was worried about something. Like he was experiencing an epiphany.

"I don't think women are complicated. I just think it's very easy to forget that apart from our bodies being different, so are our minds and the way we think. For a lot of men, we think about things in black and white. But women tend to think with more colour. Answer me this, if a bird flew out in front of you whilst you were driving and you hit it, how would you react?" I asked whilst topping up my glass, the alcohol going straight to my head especially after that draining meeting.