Distraction

By honeyhoneydukes on ao3
(You May notice, my pdosads vets that this was initially posted a long time ago but I took it down— I have found the author and credited them properly so I feel better about having it up)

Knock knock.

"Door's open," Annabeth calls. She can't be bothered to move from her bed - she might disturb the precarious stacks of paper surrounding her.
Percy pushes the door open with his foot, arms full of junk food and caffeinated beverages.

"Hey beautiful. How's the studying going?" he asks, setting the snacks down and pressing a hello kiss to her cheek.
She runs a hand through her hair, curls flying everywhere.

"Terribly. None of these articles make sense! Why the hades did I decide to take a class that requires a research paper? I HATE EVERYTHING." Annabeth sighs exasperatedly and flops backwards, glaring at the ceiling.

"Everything?" Percy asks, popping open a soda. "Even me?"

"Yes, Seaweed Brain, even you." Annabeth says, but her words carry no venom.

"Sounds like someone needs a break," Percy remarks, unperturbed.

"I don't have time for a break. I don't have time to BREATHE." Annabeth pulls a pencil from behind her ear and scribbles a note in one of the numerous notebooks littering her bed.

"How about you do something else, Annabeth? You're gonna explode if you keep going, and then your research paper will never get done." Percy pantomimes a volcano erupting, and Annabeth can't help but smile.

"What do you suggest?" Annabeth hopes he'll tell her to take a nap. She needs some sleep like Mrs. O'Leary needs a drool-catcher. Gingerly extricating herself from the mound of papers, she plops down on the floor next to Percy and lays her head on his shoulder. He twirls a strand of blonde hair around his calloused finger.

"I dunno. Just not...THAT."
Annabeth swats him playfully. "You're so incredibly helpful, babe. No wonder I keep you around."

"And here I thought you liked my cooking expertise. Well, don't you have another assignment you could work on for a while?" Percy suggests.
Annabeth trails a fingertip in circles on his knee.

"I do have to read for Contemporary Poetry. I suppose I could get that out of the way."

"Go for it. I'll be here, eating these sprinkled donuts I brought for you." Percy demonstrates by taking a large bite of the donut in his hand.

Annabeth smirks as she gets up, ruffling his hair. She locates her textbook underneath all the papers on her bed, stacks the papers on her desk, and then nests herself in her pillows. She finds the page and her face softens as her eyes flit over the words.

"Hey, Percy, do you mind if I read out loud?" Annabeth asks. With her dyslexia, reading out loud sometimes helps her understand better.

"Whatever you need to do, Wise Girl."
She clears her throat and begins to read.

"I think, maybe, I fell in love with your patterns and inconsistencies. Like the way you moan on your way to sleep. And the way your heart beats." Annabeth looks up from the page, and Percy has propped his chin on the end of the bed, listening. His bright green eyes look up at her, attentive.

"I want to be your heartbeat, just to be that much closer to you, living there inside your chest, making a home under your flesh." Percy levers himself up on his arms and presses his lips ever so gently to the inside of one ankle, then the other. She pauses.

"Keep reading, babe," he prompts.

"And waking up to sunshine is nice, I guess, but waking to your smile is like having sunshine in my bed every morning, warmth radiating from your side of the mattress." Percy's lips make a ladder up past her knees, to her inner thighs, teeth pulling at the hem of her shorts.
Annabeth's breath hitches, but she doesn't miss a word.