ins (is) 12

Goodgodwhy on ao3

So, her plan might not have been a particularly sound one, which was not easy for her to admit. Annabeth Chase, known for her carefully thought out and concocted schemes was willingly acknowledging that she may have made a mistake. Annabeth Chase, one of the most prideful people you will ever meet was owning up to her faults.

It started to go downhill from the moment that she raced home from Percy's apartment, terrified and reeling. She went straight to her room and flopped on her bed and sighed, already resigning herself, fully aware that she had to end it.

She knew that she could get a handle on these stupid feelings, she could crush them into a pulp if she just didn't have to see his dumb, handsome face every day. If she could create some space, she was certain that they would fade.

It would be hard, she wouldn't just be losing her fix for consistent, mind-boggling sex, she would also be losing a friend, but it was the only way.

She would feel horrible for a while, she would sulk and bitch, but with time, she would get over it, get over him. But, she would never be able squash her slightly massive crush if she kept letting him look at her with those beautiful green eyes and infuriating smirk.

She had to do this.

She considered texting him, just saying that since the summer was nearing, they should stop whatever it was that they were doing. She couldn't though, he deserved more than an impersonal message after the months they spent together.

She decided to tell him on Monday.

She spent the rest of the weekend practicing her words and preparing a little speech to say to him. She went through some withdrawal, but overall, she was handling it pretty well.

She saw his texts lighting up her phone here and there, but she didn't allow herself to look. She knew if she did, she would unravel rapidly.

When Monday finally came around, she walked into class confidently, her head held high. She was ready, she had her words memorized, she just had to tell him plainly and go back to her seat.

Her feet faltered when she spotted him at his desk. He hadn't noticed her yet; his hair was especially fluffy but just as messy and disheveled as usual. He was smiling at Grover, a grin that she had come to recognize as kind and friendly. He threw his head back, his broad shoulders shaking at something their friend said. The sound of his laugh reverberated through the room and lifted her off her feet. He sounded so open and carefree, so different from the cautious and guarded look he used to always wear.

Her heart clenched painfully, and she stumbled backwards out of the room, bumping into students as she rushed away. She couldn't do this, she didn't want to do this.

So maybe she lied about just how shitty it had been not to see him or talk to him.

She ran into the bathroom and gazed at herself in the mirror. She looked exhausted, large dark bags under her eyes, and her hair missing its usual shiny buoyancy. Even her outfit couldn't make her look more alive. She wore all white, having made a conscious effort to wear the exact opposite of the black clothes in her closet which had been getting much more attention as of late. She was in a typical short skirt and button up cardigan, trying to prove to herself that she could go back to the person that she was before Percy entered her life and shook everything up. She wasn't entirely convinced she was succeeding in that effort.

She stared into her own eyes, a washed-out dull grey. She couldn't do it. She couldn't end it.

Instead, she took the coward's way out.

For the next two days, she avoided him at all costs. Their project was as good as done, she had no reason or need to see him. She started steering away from the library as much as possible, she continued to ignore his texts as they popped up on her phone and every time she spotted him in the hallway, she promptly turned the other way.