Broken Ego, Broken Heart 💔

By @lex42069 on ao3 (Me, but 2020, that is an important distinction!!!)

The end of summer party at camp is always a fun time... the after party at least. Once Chiron puts his cassettes away, is when the real party starts-- for the veteran counselors. Percy can't explain precisely why he feels so hostile towards everyone tonight-- or in general lately. Though, ever since Tartarus, he's been more on edge. Protective, maybe. Of Annabeth (if that wasn't clear), but Annabeth has never avoided him like this before. He understands that he can't force her to spend time with him, but he needs her right now, and Malcolm, Connor, and Jason are stopping that from happening. Moreover, Connor.

Jason and Malcolm are easy to get rid of, but Connor has always been after Annabeth. A couple of drinks in both of them, and he will have a problem. Percy sees how unbalanced she is. He knows that Connor will catch her. Then she'll fall in love with Connor, and Percy will be alone. He missed the days when nobody was after him or Annabeth.

Everyone feels like a threat to him tonight. Even Piper kissing Annabeth's cheek for a photo made him angry.

"Dude, you okay?" Grover slung his arm on his shoulders.

"No." He bleated nervously.

"You know, there's no reason to be jealous."

"I'm not jealous, Grover." He growled.

"If you say so."

"I'm not."

"Then, how come you're not having fun."

"I didn't say that."

"Dude, just go talk to her."

"Who?"

"Annabeth, your girlfriend?"

"She's busy," Grover sighed.

"And you're jealous, just go talk to her."

"We get one giant party every year, I'm not going to ruin our last night here by being insecure."

"That's the spirit, go on!"

"Grover, look at her," she was dancing with Piper to the music.

"I see her. I can also see everything you're thinking, gross." He shoved the goat lightly, "I can't believe you guys haven't yet."

"We were in literal hell, but sure, that's what I call a romantic setting."

"How do you plan on it happening then?"

"I haven't really."

"Don't lie to me, Perce," Percy sighed but couldn't deny the fact that he's thought about it. "See?"

"Shut up," he shoved his friend lightly.

"Go talk to her," Percy nodded and dusted off his shirt in an attempt to shake out his nerves.

Percy came up behind her, placing his hand on the small of her back. She whipped around, ready to beat the crap out of anyone going too far before she stopped herself.

"There you are! I've been looking for you all night."

"Really?"

"No, I saw you moping over by Grover," his hand clenched behind her back. "Are you okay?" She wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I'm fine." He rested his head on her shoulder.

"That's good, but get off me, it's too hot out here," she pushed him off, and maybe it was the look Connor had on his face or Percy's own insecurities, but he pulled her with him. "Percy, what the--?"