Ins(is) 15

Goodgodwhy on ao3

So yeah, he definitely liked Annabeth.

He already knew that, but it became even more solidified after the day he spent with her. It wasn't a question anymore. He was an absolute goner. He had been a goner probably since the moment he first saw her. He had been fooling himself thinking he was ever not absolutely obsessed with her from the very first second. He liked her a lot, too much.

Yesterday, he just couldn't stop staring at her the whole time. She looked amazing in her cute shorts and with her hair cascading down her shoulders. And then, he nearly choked on his own tongue when she swivelled out of her clothes and stretched out on her towel in her tiny bikini. It was like every one of his wet dreams come to life right before his eyes. He had been forced to run into the freezing water a few too many times, to cool himself down and hide his straining shorts from everyone. She must've been doing it on purpose. She laid on her stomach, her ass on display as she stared back at him over her shoulder, like a model posing for a camera. It wasn't fair.

Aside from the awkward situation occurring in his pants, it had truly been one of the best days ever. He had never really hung out with people his age before. It felt so normal. They were all so cool and welcoming. It made him hopeful, it made him want friends of his own. It made him happy that he already had Annabeth and Grover. It made him glad that he had found a permanent home here.

At the end of the day, he was so grateful that he felt the need to thank her for everything. He found her on top of a hill, the fading sunlight dancing through her curls, spinning them into a pure gold that was so brilliant that it was almost hard to look at it head on.

When he finally grew some balls and managed to tear his eyes away from her distractingly bouncy hair, he started spilling everything to her, anything that came to mind quickly tumbled from his lips. He thanked her for inviting him, and for pushing him to open up and for becoming his friend, and on and on. Then she surprised him by thanking him right back. And he still didn't know exactly what came over him, or how he built up the courage, but soon they were both leaning in, and he wanted nothing more than to close the gap and feel her lips against his. Unfortunately, Rachel interrupted them before they could do anything, but Annabeth had tried to kiss him, so that must have meant that she felt the same way, right? It had to. God, he hoped so.

Percy thought back to the car ride home, when Annabeth fell asleep on his shoulder. His heart had been nearly bursting out of his chest and his smile was painfully large. He was glad that she hadn't been conscious to see it, because one look at his face and she would have known every single thought in his head and all the feelings churning in his stomach. When they arrived back at his apartment, she had woken up, all groggy and completely adorable, and it was unfairly endearing. He had even accidentally called her 'baby, the word dropping from his mouth before he could stop it. He couldn't help it though, not when he gazed down into her soft eyes, and he just felt warm and tender and happy.

And when he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and fled from the van, his knees were literally trembling, because he knew he was truly screwed, but he wouldn't trade it for the world.

The terrifying realization that he would either have to tell Annabeth about his feelings or learn to live in perpetual agony as he hid them, didn't stop a grin from spreading across his lips when he woke up the next morning, still thinking about her.

He pulled out his phone to see a text from Grover waiting for him.

GROVER (9:09am):
How was the beach?
How was Annabeth?

PERCY (10:46am):
Sorry just woke up
It was really fun
All her friends are cool
How's Juniper?

GROVER (10:47am):
It's cool
June's great
Yeah they're good people
Late night?