When you get me alone, it's so simple

By groverspanpipes on ao3 (companion piece to 'all f you, all of me, intertwined') [a/n: it's not a smut piece so you guys let me know if you want me to post all 12 parts to that fic] -lex

Annabeth took a sip from her glass, letting the bubbles dissolve on the tip of her tongue. They'd already gone through three bottles of Dom collectively, and it was hardly eleven o'clock; she looked over at the other side of the living room, where friends and strangers alike were lounging on her couches, chatting and drinking.

The music blasting from her speakers changed. Someone had put on the Notorious B.I.G., and throngs of people crowded into the room to dance. Annabeth usually liked festivities, especially when they were celebrating her, but Piper must have told her friends to tell their friends, because her house seemed a little small right now, the crowd a little too thick. She got up from her loveseat and grabbed a few glasses left behind on the coffee table, then headed toward the kitchen to put them in the sink.

Piper was in there, leaning over a big box. When she spotted Annabeth, she gasped and squealed, "Get out! You're not allowed to see the cake before we sing!"

Annabeth put one hand over her eyes, just to humour her friend, and put the glasses down. "Don't worry, I'm out of here."

Somehow her living room was even more crowded, though it had hardly been a minute since she'd left. She made the rounds, thanking people for coming, giving kisses on cheeks and shaking hands. Her agent, Mellie, stopped her to take a photo; Frank, her costar, pressed a small package into her hands; Silena, the world-famous supermodel who'd taken her under her wing when she'd started modelling, left a huge pink kiss mark on her cheek, then blotted it off with an embroidered napkin, giggling all the while. But people were having fun, and that was what mattered.

Annabeth walked over to the little bar in the sitting room, poured two shots of tequila, and downed one with the lead guitarist of some indie rock band. Then she went to the guest bathroom, clipped her long curls up and out of her face, and reapplied her lip gloss.

The bathroom door was still slightly ajar; as she was smacking her lips together and readjusting the straps of her black dress, it creaked and opened slightly.

"Beth?"

She looked up. Percy was standing in the doorway, his dress shirt rumpled and hair wind-mussed.

"Hi," she grinned, launching herself into his arms. He hugged her tightly and patted her pack.

"Happy birthday, gorgeous. I'm sorry I'm late."

"It's okay, you're not. They haven't even brought out the cake yet."

"I think-"

The lights turned off, and the music was lowered. Piper's voice rang out through the house, calling for her. Annabeth took his hand and they walked towards the dining room, where Piper was lighting twenty-four candles on an enormous tiered cake.

"She's here!" Piper said when she spotted Annabeth. "Okay, three, two, one. Happy birthday to you..."

The whole room was singing along. Annabeth couldn't help but blush, taking her place in front of the cake. When the song ended she took a deep breath and blew out about half of the candles, enlisting Piper's help to do the rest. The dining room erupted in whoops and applause, and Annabeth cut the first slice of the cake- strawberry sponge, her favourite flavour- and handed it to Piper, who took a grateful bite. Then she continued cutting slice after slice, handing pieces of cake on paper plates to anyone who asked, until the poor thing was hardly recognisable. She carved herself a thin slice and stuck a fork in it.

"How's it taste?" said Percy in her ear. The music was back on and louder than ever.

"Delicious. Here." She handed him the fork and he took a bite. When he kissed her a moment later, he tasted of strawberries and vanilla.