i don't want you like a best friend

By Xogray on ao3

Annabeth knew what she was doing. And she was sure Percy knew too with the way his eyes darkened as soon as he saw her.

The dark red satin clung to her body perfectly, falling just above the middle of her thighs. The cowl neckline draped loosely across her chest, showing off a bit of the valley between her breasts perfectly. The back of the dress fell to the middle of her spine, though most of her back was covered by her long curls.

Annabeth, Hazel, and Piper walked into the bar and the moment he saw her, she watched his gaze travel all the way down her body and back up. Piper and Hazel went to their respective boyfriends while Annabeth just leaned her elbows on the table.

"Frank and I are going to get drinks," Jason said after everyone had officially said their greetings, looking around the group, "does anyone want anything?"

"Vodka tonic, please," Annabeth said with a smile.

"Okay, anyone else?" he asked. By then, Annabeth's gaze had returned to Percy and she wasn't listening to anyone else's orders. He looked good, too. Black jeans and a tight, dark blue shirt that clung to his muscles.

Piper touched her arm lightly, tearing her eyes away. "Hazel and I are gonna go to the bathroom real quick, are you coming?"

It was set up so perfectly, Annabeth had to bite back a smile. "I'm good," she said. Piper nodded and led Hazel away, leaving just Percy and Annabeth. He rounded the table until he was standing next to her.

"Hi," he said quietly, smiling down at her. Annabeth turned so her side was against the table and they were almost chest to chest.

"Hey," she replied. Even with her heels, he was a few inches taller than her.

"New dress?"

A slow smirk grew on Annabeth's face. "Yep." She felt particularly pleased that he'd noticed the dress considering she'd bought it with the image in mind of him peeling it off her body.

"You look..." he trailed off, his eyes falling on the loose neckline. She knew from his height advantage, he could likely see straight down her dress.

"I look...?" she prompted.

"Good," he swallowed. "Really good."

"Thank you," she said, ignoring the slight flutter of her heart. They'd been hooking up for a few months now and it was meant to be no strings attached. But somewhere along the way, Annabeth's strings had gotten tangled up and now she had fallen for him hard.

"One vodka tonic," Frank interrupted, setting the glass down in front of Annabeth.

"Thanks," she smiled, taking a sip. An idle conversation started about something with Jason's work but Annabeth could only focus on the heat of the body next to her. She desperately wanted his hands on her. It took her about seven minutes to down her drink and she was ready for another one.

She waited until Percy's drink was almost done before looking up at him. "Come with me to the bar?" she asked. He knocked back the rest of his drink in one gulp and nodded. Annabeth locked eyes with Piper across the table and lifted her empty glass and mouthed, "I'll be back."

Piper nodded and Annabeth tugged Percy's arm once, getting him to follow her. She smiled to herself when his hand touched her lower back, carefully guiding her through people. When she reached the bar, Percy's chest pressed against her back and Annabeth leaned back into his touch. His head dipped down so his breath ghosted over her ear as he said, "You're driving me insane in that dress."

"So do something about it," she suggested nonchalantly, waving the bartender over.

"I plan to."

"Good," she said, glancing up at him with dark eyes. The bartender approached and they both ordered another drink. Percy's hand grabbed her hip lightly, pulling her even closer. Annabeth held her breath as his hand then crept along her waist. It was slightly risky because if any of their friends joined them unexpectedly, it would clear that something was going on. None of them knew Percy and Annabeth were hooking up and she planned to keep it that way.