Better Than Ambrosia

By @ ChildOfPoseidon1998 on ao3

Argo II swayed back and forth, pushed by the steady winds in the sky. The ship was finally back in the air after having stayed in the water for quite a while.

During one of the most recent monster attacks, some of the important components responsible for the ship's flying ability had been damaged.

Leo had worked hard to repair them enough to take them back into the air while the other demigods protected the ship.

While the rest had taken turns, Percy had worked overtime since he was their strongest defense by sea. The others had been worried since he was still recovering from his and Annabeth's trip through Tartarus, but they had to admit that they needed him to keep the ship safe while Leo was preoccupied.

Now that they were back in the air, everyone had ordered Percy to go downstairs and get some rest.

And he had done that. Or at least for a few minutes.

Even though he had his own room, he preferred staying in his girlfriend's. After so many days and near death experiences trying to make their way through literal Hell and only surviving because they had each other, they both felt strange sleeping apart. Having each other nearby made sleep come faster and kept off the worst of the nightmares.

And since Hedge wasn't here anymore to chaperone them, they had found themselves spending the night in Annabeth's room, where she had easy access to her books and scribbled papers when she woke up from a nightmare and couldn't sleep.

Even Buford, Leo's almost sentient table, now upgraded with the ability to yell at anyone too close together without adult supervision, had ignored Percy's change in bed.

Percy suspected that Leo had tweaked its settings to give him and Annabeth some privacy, as it was obvious that they shouldn't be kept apart right now. Not when they were still trying to heal.

All this meant that even though Percy had gone to Annabeth's bed to relax, he had ended up doing a different activity when he found that he couldn't sleep.

Annabeth had been working on something by her desk but had joined him when he loudly exclaimed that he couldn't sleep.

So now, they both lay in each other's arms, bodies pressed together and lips joined in a passionate kiss.

Percy carefully ran his fingers through Annabeth's blond, curly hair. He had learned the hard way that he couldn't just shove his fingers through it like they did in the movies, or he would get caught in knots and painfully pull her hair. Instead, he made sure to remove his hands and replace them as soon as he felt the resistance of a developing knot.

At the moment, it wasn't as difficult as it usually was. Annabeth had lost a lot of hair from the stress of trying to survive in Tartarus, and her hair was thinner than he had ever seen it before. It didn't matter to him, though, and he thought she was as pretty as always.

Sighing contently, he pulled her closer, feeling the shape of her soft curves against his harder frame.

That earned a small giggle from her, and she traced her fingers against the hair by his neck, making him shiver.

She pressed her lips tighter against him, her tongue eagerly playing with his as if they were dancing.

They had made out many times, but this time there was something different to their movements. Something more eager and more desperate.

Annabeth broke their kiss with a gasp of air as she leaned back to see his face. Her stormy, gray eyes were dark under the shadow of her long eyelashes, and her pupils had grown large. She looked hesitant, as if she was deliberating whether to say something or stay silent.