It's Not Serious (i swear) 1

By @goodgodwhy on ao3
For (You know who you are)

"Perce! You're going to be late," his mom said.

He ran down the stairs, dodging the moving boxes that were scattered all over the ground, "I know, I know. I'm going."

His mom handed him his lunch and dropped a kiss on his cheek, "good luck."

He smiled and grabbed his skateboard, "thanks. You're checking out locations for the café today, right?"

She pulled open the door for and ushered him out, "yeah, there's three different buildings that I'm going to look at."

"Well good luck to you then," Percy said with a smile and a wave, before turning down the hall.

With a quick elevator trip, and a short ride along the sidewalk, he was pulling up to Goode High. There were students milling about everywhere in the front courtyard, so he kicked his skateboard into his hands and stepped through the door. He pulled out his folded schedule from his front pocket and followed it to his first class.

For maybe one of the first times in his life, Percy actually arrived early to class. He weaved through the rows of desks and found one in the very back, tucked in the corner and nearly entirely hidden behind a wall. It would be a godsend for avoiding attention.

He dropped down into the seat and threw his hood up over his head. He put both headphones in his ears and laid his head on the desk in front of him.

The first day at a new school was always the worst, especially when you arrived well into the semester, but he was used to it at this point. It had been five years now that he and his mom had been moving from town to town. They never stayed in one place for very long. Sometimes it was because Percy got expelled and sometimes it was because they became paranoid that Gabe would somehow track them down. His old stepdad never actually cared enough to come looking for them, but the years of damage that the asshole had caused had left he and his mom a little on edge.

A few weeks ago, his mom had come back to their apartment crying in relief, telling him that Gabe would be going to jail on some kind of gambling charges, which meant they could finally return to New York. They had moved to just about every other state at this point, so it was somewhat cathartic to go back home, where they had once lived before Gabe ruined everything. They found an old apartment not far from their old house, packed up their things, and moved in.

His mom promised that this time, it would stick, and they wouldn't have to move anymore. Obviously, Percy was relieved, but he didn't really expect to stay at Goode for very long. Being on the move had been hammered into him over the years, so permanence was not something he was very used to. Inevitably, he would get expelled for something stupid and he would move onto the next school. He was on his third one already just this past year, he really didn't have the best track record. It was never his fault, teachers just seemed to hate him, they thought he was being difficult for the sake of it, even when he told them about his ADHD and dyslexia.

He lifted his eyes to the door to watch as students filtered into the classroom. He didn't care about making any connections with these people, because they would simply become a blip in his timeline when he moved in a month or two. However, he did enjoy trying to read them. He liked to make up stories and take guesses at their personalities; he'd gotten exceptionally good.

He watched as a boy with red hair and crutches grabbed a desk in front of him, giving Percy a small, friendly grin. He seemed like good kid, but Percy guessed he didn't have many friends and he probably dealt with his fair share of bullying.

Next, came three guys jostling each other and laughing, one with blonde hair and blue eyes, the other with dark curls and a mischievous smile, and the third was a tall kid that sort of looked like a burly baby. They were an odd crew, the blonde and the big guy looking like your typical jock types while the brunette appeared more like the class jokester.