Ins(is) 11

Goodgodwhy on ao3

It hadn't really registered when Percy had originally thrown out the offer to come to his house, but it hit her full force when she received a text with his address that morning, making her heart rate speed up drastically.

She didn't know why she was so nervous, but there was something exceptionally personal about seeing where he lived. They had never gone to each other's houses before, they always slept together on school property or in her car. They had never really laid out any rules but there had been an unspoken agreement to keep their private lives out of whatever they were doing.

It was a lot harder to convince herself that the agreement meant nothing to her, the more time she spent with him. It was much more difficult to remain indifferent with every new piece of his puzzle that was revealed to her, which was why she would have preferred to steer clear of his home, but it was her fault for suggesting they meet outside the library.

Now she found herself fidgeting uneasily with her hair as she pulled into the parking lot behind his apartment complex, in the car that her dad had given her when he was feeling particularly guilty one day.

She had taken an embarrassingly long time to pick out her outfit, unsure what to go for. After pulling almost everything out of her closet, she finally decided on a long, simple green floral dress, just in case she met his parents or something. She wasn't sure her normal choices would be appropriate for the whole family, even if she loved seeing Percy's reactions to them. She also had to consciously hold back from choosing any of her black clothes which she had been horrified to realize had been getting a lot more use ever since Percy showed up.

The short elevator ride up to his floor wasn't nearly long enough for her to get her emotions in check. Wiping her sweaty palms on her dress, she knocked on his front door with a trembling hand. She could hear clamoring on the other side, and then it was pulled open to reveal a smiling Percy. He was literally just wearing shorts and a grey sweater, the most casual thing she had ever seen him in, but the way the long sleeves clung to his biceps, and the material of the shorts outlined his sizeable bulge, still sent a shiver running through her. His thigh tattoo was also peeking out and that didn't really help either.

"Hey," he greeted, interrupting her wandering mind.

"Hey," she said with a strained smile.

"How's the ankle?" he asked.

For a moment she felt at ease as she rolled her eyes at him, "it's fine, get over it, already."

He put up his hands in surrender, "alright, alright. Come in, we can work in my room," he said, moving aside to let her through the door.

"Thanks," she responded, following after him as he walked by the kitchen before bounding up the stairs two at a time.

She sighed fondly at his childishness and scanned his apartment as she trailed after him. It was quaint, much smaller than the near mansion she lived in, but it felt a lot more like a home than anything she had ever known. Pictures of baby Percy littered the walls, and she couldn't help taking them all in with rapt attention. It was doing dangerous things to her heart, but he just looked so adorable as a kid that she couldn't help cooing aloud.

She noticed that there were only photos of Percy and what she guessed was his mom, no friends or siblings. She wondered what that must have been like, to only ever have one person to lean on, moving from place to place before he could ever build any real relationships. She wondered where his dad was, if he had any other family, and why none of them seemed to be part of Percy's life. It sounded like a lonely existence, but she knew the feeling. She had her friends, but she had never felt like she belonged in her own family, she knew what it was like to be the outlier.