ins(is) 16

A/N: Final chapter!! By goodgodwhy on ao3

She woke with a start, blinking through darkness. Her head was resting on a firm pillow, rising and falling steadily beneath her. Her arm shot out, searching for something familiar. Her fingers collided with soft skin and suddenly everything came rushing back to her. She lifted slightly and looked up at Percy's peaceful face above her, breathing shallowly and she bit down a grin. She rested her chin back on his chest and stared at him.

He really was beautiful, with his long dark lashes, and high cheek bones. God had certainly taken his time with him, and she greatly appreciated his service. It was worth the wait if this was how he turned out.

She began to trail her fingers softly along Percy's chest, tracing the smooth skin when they suddenly ran over a jagged bump. Her eyes flickered down to a thin white scar, and she once again wondered how he had gotten it. She further searched his torso and found several more lines and small discoloured marks littered across the vast plane. Her stomach churned nervously as she considered the stories behind them. One or two she may have been able to excuse, but so many? Her mind flashed back to when she and Percy sat on his bed, when he confided to her that his stepdad was an asshole and she started to wonder whether he had severely downplayed just how much of an asshole the guy really was.

Her hands continued to follow the scars absently, like they were a puzzle that she was trying to solve, when she caught Percy's eye. She pulled her fingers away and smiled at him sheepishly.

"Sorry," she muttered.

He grinned softly and tried to shrug which wasn't easy with her body pinning him down to the seat, "s'okay." She stared at him curiously, too nervous to let the question actually escape her lips, but he seemed to understand anyway, "it wasn't as bad as you think."

"How bad was it, because it certainly doesn't seem good," she asked a little harshly.

She tried to keep her voice even, but she could feel the anger brewing in her gut and seeping into her tone. She just couldn't fathom someone doing something like that, and to Percy of all people. He may not look it, but he was the nicest, sweetest, most genuine person she had ever met, and the thought of someone laying their hands on him- there wasn't a single word for how much it disgusted her. Her palms which rested on his chest curled into tight fists involuntarily.

He closed his eyes with a shaky sigh, and she forced her fingers to relax. Her anger wasn't what he needed right now. He needed support, not an interrogation.

"Sorry, you don't have to tell me," she added quietly.

He cleared his throat, his eyes opening but unable to meet hers, "it wasn't all the time. Just when he was in really bad moods and only when my mom was gone."

"Your stepdad?" she asked softly, needing confirmation.

He just nodded, his face looking pained, and she began to regret bringing it up because she never wanted to see him in pain.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'm sorry that it happened, and I'm sorry for bringing it up and making you relive it again. But thank you for telling me."

He offered a small smile, but she was glad to see that it was at least a genuine one, as he tried to shrug again.

"I'm glad you asked. It would've come up eventually," he muttered and then he craned his neck to press a tender kiss to her lips. He shook his head, his mouth brushing against hers, "this is too serious, this should be a happy occasion."

She grinned against his lips, her heart bursting in her chest. She still couldn't quite believe this had happened. She couldn't believe he actually reciprocated her feelings, and now they were something. She didn't know what exactly, they were more than just friends that slept together, but they weren't dating just yet. It was something in between, something with the promise of more, and it was exciting, and it was enough. This whole day had felt surreal.