my hot blood's been burning for so many summers now

@honeyhoneydukes on ao3

At first, Percy thinks he's still dreaming.

"Percy," Annabeth's voice whispers, strained. He hears her voice in his dreams frequently, but he never feels her hand clutching his shoulder.

He blinks his eyes open, and Annabeth is standing next to his bed. Her hair is in a messy braid down one shoulder, a distressed look on her face. Her arms are wrapped around her stomach like she's trying to physically hold herself together.

"What's going on?" Percy asks, heart pounding as he sits up and feels around for Riptide. "What's wrong?"

"I had a nightmare," Annabeth says, clearly upset. Percy's panic recedes but his heart hurts for her, knowing she's plagued with bad dreams just like the rest of them.

"What else is new for us? Come here, tell me about it," Percy says, settling with his back against the wall and putting his arms out in offering. Annabeth climbs into his lap, wrapping all her limbs around him like a Percy-shaped Pillow Pet and burying her face in the crook of his neck, taking in a deep shuddering breath of his ocean scent. Percy rubs her back soothingly, knowing she'll talk when she's ready.

"I had a nightmare that you disappeared in the middle of the night again and I just had to check for myself that you were still here," Annabeth explains, trying to keep her voice even and sound stronger than she feels.

"I am never ever leaving you again," Percy says emphatically, holding her tighter. "Not if I have anything to say about it."

Percy's tenacity for being with her, coupled with his strong arms holding her protectively, is all too much for Annabeth to keep her walls up against. The dam of tears bursts, and Percy strokes her hair as she cries into his shoulder.

"It's just....gods Percy, I dreamed about you every night you were gone, praying to every god I could think of that you were okay. Now I have you back and my nightmares rip you away again." Annabeth grabs fistfuls of Percy's t-shirt, as though she could keep him with her through sheer force of will.

Percy holds her face in his hands, wiping her tears with his thumbs. "Hey, Annabeth? I'm here. I'm here with you. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere." He presses a kiss to her lips, reassuring.

Annabeth takes a shaking moment to close her eyes and absorb the experience of his mouth somehow delicate on hers, then leans hard into the kiss and turns it into something desperate. She pulls him in closer by the back of the neck, rolling her hips against his where she's straddling him.

"Show me," Annabeth says breathlessly. "Show me you're here with me." Percy responds by running his hands up her back to the wings of her shoulder blades and crushing her to him, matching her vehemence.

They trade anguished kisses for a long minute, hands grasping at each other's bodies as they try to figure out how to hold onto each other as closely as possible. It reminds Annabeth of the way they'd clutched one another after Percy saved her from falling off a building during the battle against Kronos in New York -- clinging to each other as if to say holy shit, we're alive . Annabeth rucks up Percy's shirt to press a palm against where his Achilles' spot had been, a reminder that he chose her as his anchor to mortality. Annabeth's touch at such a sensitive spot provokes an involuntary little squirm from Percy that presses their bodies impossibly closer.

Annabeth rolls her hips again and feels where Percy's cock is stiffening. She grinds down, wild with need. He bucks up into the stimulation and Annabeth bites back a whimper at how desperate she feels.

"I love you so much it hurts," Percy says in her ear, strong hands squeezing the flesh of Annabeth's thighs.

"It hurts more without you," Annabeth says into his neck, lips brushing his pulse.