Chapter 9

Mia took a deep breath as she rode the elevator up to her destination. She frowned when she didn't see the receptionist at her desk. She opened the door and froze, "Oh sorry."

Multiple eyes turned to look at her, causing her to tense up and take a step back, "Come here," Owen demanded as he turned his chair towards her.

"I can come back another—"

"Come here," he repeated, dropping his voice even lower than it normally is. "Get out now."

The men around the table quickly stood and rushed out the door after she stepped to the side. "Mr. Blackbourne," the receptionist started to say but he cut her off.

"Reschedule the meeting for another day," he said never removing his eyes from Mia. "That will be all for today, you can go."

"Yes Sir," she huffed storming out of the room while glaring at Mia.

"I'm so sorry, Owen," Mia whispered still froze from embarrassment.

"I said come here, three times now," Owen frowned, "you know I don't like repeating myself." Mia rushed over to him, and he pulled her onto his lap. "Talk."

"I'm so sorry Owen," she bursts out, "I didn't mean to interrupt your meeting. I'm so—"

"Hush," he commanded, putting his finger on her lips. She looked at him confused and he gave her that millimeter smile of his. "You are more important than some boring meeting. I meant talk about what is so important you left the hospital in the middle of your shift to come see me."

She huffed and got out of his lap. He watched as she paced, watching her closely as her emotions ran rampant. It was breathtaking to watch but at the same time, he was torn on trying to figure out what was going on so he could calm her down. If she got too worked up, he knew she would make herself sick and he didn't want that, but he also didn't want her to keep everything bottled up, it was a fine line when it came to her. He was glad that she came to him though, it was progress from when they first started being together. This was one of the times, he knew he just had to be patient as she gathered her thoughts and words.

She sighed then turned to look at him, "You promised everything will be okay, Owen and it's not! I'm getting looks from other doctors and nurses and you promised, you promised nothing would change! They are trying to figure out how I know Dr. Green and his brothers and why he interfered on my situation when he's never stepped in before. They are acting like I'm getting special treatment! I didn't want this! They are going to start questioning everything I do now! I didn't want this, Owen! You promised!"

"I know, Darling," he nodded, "I'm sorry. I didn't think this would happen."

"Well, it is!" She huffed as she continued to pace. "I'm no longer being taken seriously, OWEN! MY CAREER IS BEING AFFECTED NOW!"

"I understand, Darling," Owen said standing and walking over to her. "Let's go talk to Dr. Green, I'm sure he can help us figure something out."

"There's nothing to figure out, Owen," she said shoving away from him. "You broke your word to me! I can't work there anymore, it's as simple as that! My career is over now because of you and him! I'll never be taken seriously again! Your brother ruined my career!"

"Now surely you don't mean that, Mia," Owen said taking a step closer to her.

"DON'T!" She took a step back and pointed a finger at him. "Don't come near me right now, Owen!"

"Hey, everything okay?" Sean asked as he and Axel walked into the office. "Need me to do anything?"

"No," she huffed grabbing her car keys and purse she had dropped on the table when she walked over to Owen. "You've done enough," she mumbled as she stormed passed them.

"What is that about?" Sean asked looking at Owen. "What did I do?"

"Apparently your act of chivalry for her and the hospital is now causing her problems at the hospital," Owen sighed as he straightened his tie. "Other doctors and nurses are now questioning her ability to do her job."

"What?" Sean asked shocked, "I didn't mean for that to happen. She's a damn good doctor! I was only trying to—"

"I know," Owen interrupted. "It's not just that, Sean. Everything is piling up for her right now and she is feeling overwhelmed."

"I can see that," Axel nodded. "I take it that she is used to bottling everything up and you are working with her on not doing that anymore?"

"Yes," Owen nodded. "But we are making great progress since she left work to vent to me about it. She even interrupted a meeting instead of just waiting until it was over."

"That's good for her," Sean sighed, "But not your meeting."

"I could give a shit about the meeting," Owen shook his head. "It has already been rescheduled."

"What are you going to do about her and her job?" Axel asked curiously.