Chapter 13

"Judge Henderson speaking," A deep voice said on the other end of the phone.

"Hello, Judge Henderson," Mia said after clearing her throat. "This is Dr. Gillyard, I was asked to call you, Your Honor."

"Yes," he sighed, "I was expecting your phone call, Miss."

"I'm sorry for calling you this late at night," she sighed.

"I'm a night owl Dr besides I know how busy doctors are," he said while tapping a pen on his desk. "It's not a problem. I heard you had some questions about a case I handled."

"Yes," she cleared her throat, "I was curious about the relationship between Owen and Karen Blackbourne, Your Honor."

"Yes," he said then she heard typing. "That was a polyamorous relationship between fourteen men and one woman, and she took Owen Blackbourne's last name but was married to all fourteen men. They were married for just over a year then the men filed for a divorce. There is no spousal support and there was a prenup made that was agreed to be followed. They had no children, so it was handled fairly quickly. They filed under the irreconcilable differences."

"So they are divorced?" Mia asked hesitantly.

"Yes," he confirmed, "I signed the divorce papers and I show no marriage certificates under any of the names being filed since then."

"I'm sorry, I'm just confused Sir," she shook her head. "Karen Blackbourne showed up to the hospital I was working at four months ago and shoved paperwork in my face showing that the divorce was never signed by a judge then made scene calling me a homewrecker and got me fired."

"Really?" Judge Henderson asked, "Give me your email and I can send you a copy of the divorce papers. Mr. Blackbourne gave me verbal permission, I can assure you that they are divorced and have been for almost six years now."

Mia recited her email then sighed, "I just don't understand why she would do this after all this time," she muttered to herself.

"I have seen a lot of cases like this unfortunately, Dr," Judge Henderson sighed, "some people just don't seem to be able to handle their exes moving on while they haven't. It sounds like this is one of those times but I can assure you that I will be having my people look into this. She should not have gotten you fired from your job, it will be handled Dr."

"Thank you," she said softly as her computer dinged with the notification of incoming mail. "I appreciate the clarification Your Honor."

"Of course," he said typing away. "If you have any more questions, you have my number."

She said goodbye then printed off the documents. She sat them on the desk then took a deep sigh while resting her elbows on the desk and her fingers in her hair.

A knock on her door made her look up, "Mr. Blackbourne," she whispered dropping her hands to the desk. She cleared her throat and glanced at her watch. Gasping when she saw that it was 9:30, "oh I'm sorry, I lost track of time."

"It's fine," Owen said walking over to her. "I know you are a very busy person." He glanced down at the desk and spotted the papers, "you called Judge Henderson."

"I did," she nodded.

"Do you believe me now?" he asked nervously.

"I don't know," she said honestly. "I have seen a lot of falsified documentations and I know that you could create some if you had to. You have friends in a lot of high places, you could easily have someone portray a judge to persuade me if you were desperate enough. That being said, she could also have falsified papers, so I just don't know."

"I can understand that," he nodded. He reached into his jacket and pulled out a CD. "Here."

"What's this?" She asked taking it from him while looking at it in confusion.

"Just play it," he nodded, "please."

She inserted it into her computer and hit play when it popped up. She sat back and bit back a gasp when she realized it was footage from a courthouse. Owen reached over and turned up the volume so she could hear what was being said.

She watched as the divorce case proceeded exactly like the judge told her on the phone. Owen and the men looked younger on her computer screen and Owen definitely looked different than now, so she knew this had to be authentic footage. She couldn't figure out how they would be able to recreate something like that, it just wasn't possible, so this had to be real footage from that time.

"Why?" she asked when it was over.

"Because I wanted you to have all the evidence you needed," he admitted. "I asked Corey to go to the courthouse and pull the footage while I was at work."

"Why?" She asked turning to look at him.

"Because she's mad, we don't want her," he sighed softly. "She doesn't want us to be happy without her so she's doing whatever she can to sabotage our relationship. I'm sorry, Mia, I never thought she would do this or else I would have told you about her from the beginning. I never lied to you, and I never will."

She sighed, "and let say I do decide to believe you, then what Mr. Blackbourne? We try to have a relationship again and I have to constantly look over my shoulders because your ex-wife has it out for me? I have to constantly be on guard for my job because she refuses to let you and your brothers go?"

"No," he shook his head. "We are handling her, we have already filed a restraining order and we will make sure we will do whatever we have to in order for her to leave us and you along. I promise, Mia. I'll do whatever I have to in order to regain your trust."