Chapter 10

Owen sent her a good morning text the following morning but didn't receive a response. He didn't think anything of it since he knew how chaotic the ER could be at times. He checked his phone again around lunch time and frowned when the text showed that it was still delivered and not read. He tried telling himself that she was just very busy today and hadn't had a chance to look at her phone just yet. By the time he got off work he saw that the text was still not read so he tried calling but it just kept ringing and ringing and ringing until it went to voicemail.

"Hey Darling, I was just seeing how your day was going. Call me or text me when you get a chance, please. I love you," he said hanging up and getting in his car. He didn't like the feeling he was getting. He hoped that he was wrong about what his mind was telling him.

"Everything okay, Owen?" Sean asked as everyone sat down to have dinner together. "You're more quiet than usual. Long day at work?"

"Yeah," He mumbled as he pushed his plate away.

"Talk to us, Owen," Axel said watching him. "What's going on? Everything okay with Mia?"

"I don't know," he admitted, "I haven't heard from her today."

"Maybe she is just busy," Luke suggested.

"Maybe," he murmured. "She normally at least sends a text to let me know that she is busy though."

"Maybe she just needs some time to come to terms with everything," Silas shrugged. "You have to admit, it's a lot to take in at once and with everything that has been happening the past few days, it would make sense if she just needed some time."

"Perhaps," Owen said standing. "I'm going to the office."

"Want me to—" Corey started to ask but Owen shook his head.

"No, perhaps she really is just busy," he said without an ounce of believability in his voice. "It's happened with Sean before." He walked off and they looked at one another with concern.

The next day was the same. By the third day Owen had enough of the no contact, he left work by lunch time and went up to the hospital. He walked passed the reception desk and headed to her office. He opened the door and noticed it was empty so he stormed out. He wanted answers now. Spotting a nurse back at the reception desk, he walked over, tapped the counter and glared at the nurse, "Where's Dr. Gillyard? I need to speak with her immediately."

"Dr. Gillyard?" She asked nervously under his intense gaze and he nodded. "I'm sorry, Sir, but she no longer works here. She transferred two days ago."

"Where?" he asked trying to remain calm.

"I don't know, Sir," she shook her head. "I just overheard the doctors saying she called and asked to be transferred. That's all I know."

"Thanks," he said tapping the counter.

He headed back out to his car and once it was started, he took a deep breath then pushed some buttons on the screen. The phone continued to ring until it went to voice mail.

"Hey Darling, I don't know what you are thinking, but I wish you would just talk to me," he sighed. "Please let me help you, Mia. Call me back or send a text, please. Just let me know that you are okay."

He headed over to her apartment and knocked but no one answered. After a few more knocks he gave up and headed back to the house. He headed straight to his room and locked the door; he couldn't handle talking to anyone right now.

First thing in the morning, he headed to work before anyone else woke up. He tried to throw himself into his work but he just couldn't concentrate. By lunch time he gave up on working and tried calling her again, only this time it was different.

"The number you have reached is no longer in service."

Owen hung up the phone and sighed. He pinched his nose, took a deep breath, let it out then stood grabbing his jacket while walking out of his office.

"Sir, you have—"

"I don't care," Owen interrupted his receptionist, "Reschedule, there's been an emergency."

He got in his car, hit a couple of buttons and tried to remain calm.

"Hey Owen, what's up?" Corey's voice filled the car.

"Locate Mia's phone now," he said through clenched teeth then after a few seconds he included, "please, Corey."

"Sure, no problem," he said confused as Owen heard him typing away. A few minutes later he heard silence then inhaling, "she had it disconnected last night at 6:03 pm. What's going on, Owen?"

"Where?" he asked pressing on the gas pedal even more.

"On Main Street," Corey said typing away some more. "She did not purchase a new phone or new line. Do you want me to—"

"Yes," Owen growled as he moved into another lane.

"One second," Corey said typing even faster.

"Hey whatcha doing?" Victor's voice asked getting closer to Corey.

"Mia's phone's disconnected," Corey explained, "looking into it for Owen."

"Shit," Victor gasped, "I'll help."

A few minutes later Corey cleared his throat. "Owen..."

"She moved," he said as he stood in her empty apartment. "She left me."