Chapter 12

"Your next patient is in room 5," the nurse said handing a file to Mia as she caught Mia exiting another patient's room.

"Thank you," she said taking the file while forcing back a yawn. She hurried to the break room and took a swing from her Monster energy drink then pinched her nose as she felt the headache getting more intense. Taking a deep breath, she picked up the file and headed to room 5. She knocked then opened the door, "Hello, I'm Dr. Gillyard, what seems to be the ma..."

She trailed off seeing who was sitting on the chair waiting for you. "Hello Darling."

"Daddy," she barely whispered stepping back against the door. She cleared her throat, "What are you doing here, Mr. Blackbourne?"

"I came to bring you home," Owen said watching her closely. He didn't like how skinny or pale she was.

She frowned, "Be serious, Mr. Blackbourne." She straightened her back and grabbed the file. "If there is no reason for you to be here, I have other patients that need me."

"I have a reason," he kept his eyes on you. "I told you, I'm here to bring you home."

"I have a home, thank you," she said opening the file. "Your blood pressure is fine, your oxygen is good, you're complaining of headaches, well with your long work hours and constantly on your computer, maybe you should take a break from electronics and get plenty of sleep and see how that does."

"Darling—"

"Reduce your stress and your headaches should go away," she interrupted as she shut the folder. "Anything else?"

"Mia, please," he sighed causing her to freeze. "I didn't lie to you."

"You are still married, Mr. Blackbourne," she glared.

"No, I'm not," he shook his head.

"I saw the paperwork," she huffed. "I know what I saw!" She tossed the folder onto the counter and crossed her arms. "Do you know how embarrassing it was to have your WIFE show up at the hospital and belittle and condescend me in front of my coworkers? How did she even know where I worked, Mr. Blackbourne? I was fired from my job for goodness sake!"

"I'm so sorry, Mia," Owen shook his head, "I had no idea. I'll make it up to you, I swear it."

"Just stay away from me," she shook her head.

"I can't," he admitted, "I love you."

"You," she pointed at him, "are a married man, Owen Blackbourne. I refuse to be the other woman. I meant it then and I mean it now. Stay away from me."

"I'm not married," he pressed as he stood. "Look," he sighed, "just call this number, please."

"What is it?" she asked suspiciously as she took the card from him.

"The judge that handled our divorce," he said honestly. "He will explain everything, I promise. Please, just call him."

"I'll think about it," she said sliding the card into her jacket.

"Thank you," he nodded. He sighed, "I miss you, Mia."

"You look like shit," she said honestly.

He chuckled and shook his head, "It's been hard without you," he admitted. "Very hard."

"Yeah, well, you can thank your wife for that," she sighed looking down at her hands that were in the pockets of her white jacket.

"Ex," Owen corrected, "I swear it."

She cleared her throat, "I have to see my other patients."

"Very well," he took a step away from her, not liking how she looked a little relieved at the extra space. "Can I see you after work? Please?"

"I...I...I don't know," she shook her head. "How did you find me?"

"Corey looked up all the places that Sean didn't own then looked up the directory list. If I had known what she did I would have found you sooner, I just thought you left me because of what happened with Sean. I'm sorry I didn't figure out what happened sooner. Can I please see you after work? Please?" He asked, "Just to get some dinner? Chinese?"

She sighed, "That actually sounds really good." She nodded. "I get off at 8 so around 8:30-9pm."

"I'll be here," he nodded. "Thank you, Darling."

"Not your Darling," she shook her head.

He briefly smiled, "You will always be my Darling, always."

"I have to go," she mumbled as she opened the door. He nodded and left. She pushed the encounter to the back of her mind and hurried to the next patient waiting in the room next to her. The day rushed by and by the time the office closed she was exhausted. She sat at her desk and sighed. She started doing paperwork and when she grabbed the folder that was on top of a pile of papers she opened it then gasped. Memories of the encounter with Owen came rushing back. Grabbing the card out of her pocket, she picked up the phone and froze.