Chapter 35

"Hey Doc?" North asked tossing his phone down on the table.

"Yeah?" Sean and Mia asked at the same time making everyone chuckle.

"Baby," North clarified.

"Yes?" she asked lifting her head from Owen's shoulder.

"May I go into the kitchen and make you something to eat?" he asked.

"You may," Owen nodded as her phone started to ring. "I appreciate it, Mr. Taylor."

"Dr. Gillyard," she said professionally as she sat completely up. She tensed for second then casted a quick glance to Owen, Sean, then around the room. She noticed that North remained in the doorframe then she locked eyes with Owen again. She cleared her throat, "I'm sorry but I'm currently out of state handling some personal business, I'm not able to come in for a couple of days." She saw proudness in Owen's eyes as she continued to hold his gaze. "Well, I did put in my PTO leave so I don't know why I was put on the schedule for on call." She started playing with his tie as he sent a look over to Sean. Sean whispered in Corey's ear who then opened his laptop and started typing away. "I don't know what to tell you, I put in the leave and as I stated before I am not currently in Oklahoma, so I am not able to come in." She scoffed and shook her head, "You can't guilt trip me like that! Go right ahead and talk to HR I have my confirmation screenshot and printed off so you can't pull that on me." She stood and started pacing. "What part of I am not able to come in do you not want to listen to? What do you expect me to do? Teleport there? I'm NOT in Oklahoma! Go right ahead and go to my house, I dare you! I have cameras, you come onto my property, and I will press charges for harassment and trespassing and for anything else I can! Go ahead and call Dr. Green, I dare you! You know what go ahead and put it on three way because I want to hear his response. Oh please do, I can't wait to tell him exactly what you just told me." She glared as she as paced even more. "I'm waiting," she seethed as she turned and looked at Owen.

He held up a notepad and she read Are they going to call? She nodded and he quickly wrote something down then held it back up Go into the hallway or another room so your voice does not echo in here. By the way WE are VERY proud of you for not going in when you need to rest. Good Girl for listening to us and your body.

Everyone smiled as her face lit up with the praise. She smiled and walked into her room then quietly shut the door before curling up on her bed.

Just as she got comfortable, she heard ringing then, "Dr Green speaking."

"Dr. Green, this is Dr. Thompson," a male's voice filled the living room.

"What can I do for you Dr. Thompson?" Sean asked, his voice filled with boredom and slight annoyance.

"I have Dr. Gillyard on the line as well, Sir," the man's voice said. There was a mix of arrogance, smugness, and irritation.

"And?" Sean asked confused.

"Well, Sir, we are completely swamped and she is on call, so I called her in and now she is refusing to come in," he explained.

"Does she have a good reason for not coming in?" Sean asked sighing in annoyance.

"She states she is out of town, Sir," Dr. Thompson seethed.

"Dr. Gillyard?" Sean asked.

"Well, Sir, I had something personal come up so I put in a request to use some of my PTO and it was approved. I even have the confirmation saved. He is correct that I am not currently in Oklahoma so I do not understand why I was put on the on call list. When I tried telling him that I am not able to come in, he tried guilt tripping me telling me that I need to think of the patients since I am a doctor they come first and I don't need to be selfish. He even threatened me by saying he would have someone come to my house to see if I really am out of state. I record every single work call, including this one, so I have the proof if you would like to hear it. When I did not cave to coming in and even told him that if he did show up to my house I would press charges he said he would call you. I requested that he did and he made the snide comment that just because I am engaged to your best friend it isn't going to save my position and I need to stop thinking I am better than anyone else and can do whatever I know you."

"Oh really?" Sean asked.

"She is twisting my words," Dr. Thompson protested. "Besides we do not show her request for time off on the computer, so she is obviously lying, Sir."

"Enough," Sean demanded. "Dr. Gillyard, email your PTO confirmation to my work email as well as send me the recording of this phone call as soon as we are done. Dr. Thompson, I am on my way. You better have proof as well. Obviously if I find out you did say the things she is claiming, you and I will be having a serious conversation. I will get to the bottom of this right now."

"Yes Sir," both Mia and Dr. Thompson said seconds before Sean hung up the phone.

Mia hung up the phone and took a breath before leaving her room to head to the living room.

"I have to admit you are pretty good at lying, Doc," Luke chuckled.

"But I'm not," she shook her head.

"But you said you put—"

"I did put in PTO," She interrupted before turning to look at Sean. "Right before I called Owen I put in PTO for five days because I wasn't sure how long the trigger was going to affect me or how long Dr. Roberts had me cleared for. As soon as realized I wasn't going to be able to pull myself out of it on my own I called Owen for help. I'm not lying, I really did put in PTO."

"She's telling the truth," Corey said turning his laptop around for them to see her request and it's approval in the Head Doctor's scheduling.

"Good girl," Owen said heading over to her. He kissed her forehead then pulled her in for a hug.

"Send it to me Mia then hand Corey your phone so he can send me the phone call," Sean said trying to calm down. "I will take care of this."