Chapter 18

I took a step back from the bookcase letting out a small sigh of satisfaction seeing all the dust cleaned off the books along with killing a few bugs here and there. I let Jack loose as well to catch any mice in the room, I didn't see any before but I did find a few poop droppings too small to be rats although rats is his preferred meal despite snakes being his favorite according to research. I looked around the room seeing all the bookcases were now free of dust and bugs, looking almost brand new. "Finally got the bookcases all finished." I spoke, placing my hands on my hips as I lowered the mask that covered my nose and mouth. A whole pile of trash bags sat in the corner filled with mostly paper towels but also a few bottles of dust cleaner as well as wood polish to help the bookcases shine a little bit.

It took weeks to get everything done, in that time I had to train with Error as well as get a few visitors, one of them mostly being Nightmare who just pops up, watches me for a few hours before leaving. I hear footsteps walking towards the library, looking over and seeing Horror making eye contact with him. He quickly looked away, before walking off causing a frown to decorate my lips. "He's been like this ever since we got back from our universe." I mumble to myself, wondering if I said something that upset him or if something happened while Aliza and I were out.

I then shake my head lightly, maybe I'm overthinking everything. I then began to scan the bookshelves with my eyes, hoping to find a book that catches my interest as I take a short break before I continue cleaning the room. I then caught notice of a book that held the sun and moon symbol on the edge. I walked up to it, sliding it out of the book shelf, seeing the front of it labeled "Dream and Nightmare" in a fancy type of writing.

I take it before sitting down at the table, opening it before beginning to read it, my eyes scanning over the pictures of the two brothers. One the king of dreams and the other the king of nightmares. The people loved the king of dreams which helped spread positive feelings and made their fear, anger, greed, and hatred fade away. However the other brother, who was much more calm and collected than his twin, was hated by the people as they saw him as someone who spreads negative emotions when in reality he merely provides enough to keep the balance healthy just like his brother. Neither ever providing too much in fear the balance will shift and society collapsing.

I flipped through the pages as I continued reading the story, my brows furrowing. The people of the realm developed so much hatred for the dark king they began to bully him and throw rocks at him in hopes of chasing him away or better yet killing him. The king of dreams didn't notice as the others were portrayed as innocent while his brother remained silent in hopes to keep the peace and balance. He later seeked sanctuary in his own castle or by the tree that created him and his brother, knowing the people would never portray violence in either of the two places. However, the king of nightmares began to feel alone and depressed, as time ticked by he grew jealous of his brother as the people acted much differently around him. Some began to eat the golden apple off the tree in hopes to feel more positive emotions however no one took the apples on the other side of the tree.

To try and prove he could protect the golden apples as well, the king of nightmares took a golden apple off the tree before watching it turn black. The people began to blame the king before forcing him to eat every single black apple from his side of the tree. When the king of dreams arrived his eyes widened in horror as the king of nightmares bones were cracking, black good trickling out between the cracks as the king of dreams ran to aid his brother while everyone else snickered and smiled.

I slammed the book closed, guessing what happened next. I felt anger boiling in my blood as it took most of my strength not to grab the book and rip it to shreds. I felt liquid trickle down my cheeks, I raised my hand to wipe my tears. "Jack." I call out softly as I white blur shoots out from underneath the bookcase before climbing up my leg then wrapping around my neck. I stood up from the chair, leaving the book on the table as I rushed out of the room, an idea forming in my mind.