Chapter 19

I kept a hold of my sister's hands as I followed Xavier into a large building that looked similar to a hospital. "Where are we?" I asked, the smell of bleach reaching my nose making it wrinkle in distaste. The lights were bright making the white walls give off a certain glow. Doors lined the hallway, some having roman numerals, some having labels like storage, and others were blank. Despite being such a big building, I didn't see any people around like doctors, nurses ... anyone.

"We are at my lab and home." Xavier answered, as he walked on confidently with his hands in his pockets. He then turned his head looking over at the two of us, "Think of it like working at home." He then walked up to the elevator pressing the up button. I waited patiently as Aliza scooted closer to me, seeming to be nervous and tense.

"What if papa goes looking for us? He will be worried." Aliza mumbled, I could barely make out what she said. I couldn't help but let out a huff, shaking my head slightly.

"He won't look for us." I told her, causing her to look up in surprise, her brows furrowing. He might search for us for a while since there isn't anyone cleaning the house, giving him his beer, or someone to beat. I assume his reaction for us coming home in a few days would be likely death, he would take away something as well whether it be the chance to bathe or refusing to give us food and instead shove soap down our throats.

"But I - "

"Enough Aliza." I snap, giving her a stern look as if to tell her not to question it further. She remained silent after that as the ding of the elevator ringed throughout the empty hallway as the doors slid open. Dr. Xavier walked into the small square room and I followed with Aliza behind me as my grip on her hand slipped away.

I turned myself around with my back facing the wall just like Xavier was doing. I look up at the small rectangle black screen, watching the number change from one to two before the doors open revealing what looks like a living room. I stepped into the room, looking around with curiosity and interest. "Please, take off your shoes here." Xavier spoke, gesturing to a spot where some other shoes are. One of them looked to be about the same size as mine. I slipped off my shoes, with Aliza following my lead. "Feel free to look around, I have to fetch something real quick." Xavier spoke as he walked back into the elevator, pressing the button causing the doors to close.

I look back towards the living area, walking over to the couch, dragging my fingers across the black leather couch, before looking around the room further. I glanced at the TV seeing my own reflection walking around the room as I noticed a bar in the reflection. I look over, seeing a black counter with white stools at the end, silver lights hanging from the ceiling over the counter. Behind the bar was a sink along with kitchen appliances.

"(Y/N) we should get home." Aliza spoke nervously, beginning to mess around with her fingers as she followed after me. I ignored her comment as I walked into the hallway, where there were three doors. I opened one, finding it empty, before closing it behind me. I then moved onto the next room, opening it, seeing a dark blue bed in the far corner, a soccer ball on the ground, some video game posters, a PC on a dark brown desk, and clothes scattered about the floor. I wrinkled my nose as the stench reached my nose, whoever is in this room needs to clean it. "Sis, did you hear me!?" Aliza questioned, sounding terrified and stressed. 

I ignored her once more as I went to try the last door, jiggling the handle and finding it locked. "This must be Xavier's room." I mumble to myself looking back over at the room I was just in. "Does he have a kid?"

"(Y/N)!" Aliza shouted, yanking my arm. "Please let's go home." She whines as tears begin to stream down her cheeks.

I let out a sigh, using my free hand to pinch the bridge of my nose, "We aren't going home Aliza. This is our home now." I state, gesturing to the area around us as I walked back to the living room, dragging Aliza behind me. I turn to look at her, a smile forming along my lips, "This is our chance to finally leave that house. No more being punched. No more being kicked. No more soap being shoved in our mouths whenever we talked back. None of it." I crouch down to her level, placing a hand on her shoulder. "This is the best and safest option for us." I say, smiling softly as I whipped the tears off her cheeks.