Chapter Two

Ryder

It's been a week of practicing with my new team and I won't deny that I was nervous at first. I usually adjust well to change, but this time was a lot different. I have big shoes to fill and I wasn't sure how the team was going to react to having me as a new addition. Last year they had their backup quarterback fill in and they didn't do well, but it wasn't a big deal since everyone was still grieving over their loss. This season is different and the coaches assured me that the guys are ready to get their shit together and make it to the state championship.

Walking to the field on Monday was intimidating because I had no idea what to expect. I know that coach Larson held a team meeting last week to talk about me so it wasn't a surprise when I showed up. I walked in with my head held high and got a warm and friendly welcome from each of the guys, which instantly made my anxiety and worries disappear.

We've been practicing all week long together and have figured out a good flow. I've been talking to Blake all week long, and we agreed to grab coffee every Monday after our class together. I've really enjoyed talking with her and getting to know her better. She opened up more this time around and I've noticed her start to relax more around me. I can't even begin to imagine what she and her friends have gone through after losing her ex. I know that her and Fowlin we're high school sweethearts, they grew up nextdoor to each other and planned on spending their life together. I also know that she was in the car when the accident happened and she luckily wasn't too seriously injured.

The survivors guilt must be so hard for her to handle even after a couple years. She's such a sweet, kind and funny girl. I notice the way her eyes light up when I ask her about the book she's reading or how her classes are going. Her laugh is contagious and her smile, I swear can light up an entire room. I'm also hyper aware of the attention she gets without realizing it, wherever she goes guy are always looking at her and how can you not? She's a total bombshell.

Her long, sandy blonde hair and piercing blue eyes are alluring. She has tan skin from the beach, and the cutest patch of freckles spreading from one of her cheeks across her nose to the other side. She's tall, probably about five seven or eight and has a long, lean body from sports. I remember her mentioning she did cheerleading in high school and she has also surfed since she was young. The typical guy in me also notices her perfect, round butt and perky chest.

On top of her looks she's smart, charming and has this wicked sense of humor. There are moments when I see this bright light inside of her, and then it quickly fades away as the sadness behind her eyes creeps its way in. I want nothing more than to keep that shine she has, I barely know her and I can tell that she is someone who has so much to offer the world. I'm hoping that our friendship can help mend some of her sadness.

I finish getting dressed in the locker room when Maddox comes over to me "Good practice today" he says and pats my shoulder.

"Thanks man, everyone looked good out there today" he smiles.

"So, you've been talking to Blake...?" I nod.

"Yeah I have"

"You know about Fowlin obviously then?" I nod "She's one of our best friends, she was a wreck after everything... we all were. She's finally starting to be herself again and I don't want anything or anyone to get in the way of that. So, watch yourself with her she's not the kind of girl you just fuck around with"

I let his words sink in "I get that, I knew it from the moment we first talked and that's not what I'm after. I enjoy talking with her that's all man, I wouldn't do anything to hurt her"

"Good, she's been through a lot. I won't let just anyone weasel their way into her life" he says seriously, as a warning.

I look at him and notice a hint of something in his eyes that reminds me a little of jealousy. I don't dare ask or make a comment but now I can't help but wonder if Maddox might have legit feelings for her that are more than friendly.