Chapter Eight

Ryder

It's been a couple days since Blake found out some shitty news about her last relationship. The first night she was a wreck, but luckily I was able to help her calm down. We layed in her bed and stuffed our faces with Dominos pizza while watching chick flicks. She layed on my chest with her arm draped over me, and I finally started to feel her relax. I can't imagine the hurt and betrayal that she feels, and what makes it worse is that the person who caused it, isn't even around.

We stayed at my house last night and she's taking a shower right now, so I head downstairs to grab each of us a cup of coffee. When I make it to the bottom of the staircase, I hear Maddox and Riley talking in the kitchen. I can't quite hear exactly what they're saying but it sounds in tense so I make my presence known and clear my throat. When I step into the kitchen they both stop talking and give me a curious look.

"Everything okay?" they both nod.

"Yeah, we're good" I look at them suspiciously.

Riley looks like she's on the verge of tears "What's going on seriously?" I ask more stern now.

She wipes her eyes and shakes her head "Nothing, nothing's going on" she takes a long drink of water from the cup in front of her.

"It's none of your business Ryder" Maddox says angrily.

"If it involves that fucking angel upstairs then it is my business" I take a step towards him and we're eye to eye now.

"Trust me when I tell you Ryder, you need to stay out of it" Maddox says back to me and I search his eyes for some piece of the truth but I can't find it.

I look over my shoulder at Riley "Neither of you better hurt her anymore than she is already hurting right now"

Riley nods and Maddox just glares at me "It's funny that you think you're in a position to make a threat right now"

"It's a fucking promise" I say and walk past him to the coffee pot.

I hear footsteps and then an "Oh, morning" and I relax as Blake walks into the kitchen.

I hand her a cup of coffee before pouring one for myself. The tensions thick in the room, so thick you could cut it with a pair of scissors. Blake leads us out onto the patio so we can enjoy the coffee out in the sun, and I see that she seems more relaxed and okay then she has been. What makes me mad is that Maddox and Riley are clearly still hiding something and I want to find out what it is. I have my theories but I pray to fucking God that I'm wrong.

"You look like an angel in the sun Blue" I say and she laughs.

"You always say that" she says and brushes it off.

"Because it's true" she blows on her coffee but keeps her eyes on me.

"Well, thank you" I find myself grinning like I always do when she's around.

"I want you to be my girlfriend" falls out and she looks at me with wide eyes.

"Wait... what?"

"I should have asked you a while ago Blue, I want us to be official. Will you be my girlfriend?" she nervously swallows.

She sets her coffee down "These last few days have been rough, but this... this makes me so damn happy. Yes, I would love to be your girlfriend Ry" we both lean across the table and meet in the middle for the perfect kiss.

"It's shit timing... and I'm sorry. I don't want to be insensitive but I couldn't wait any longer selfishly" she laughs.

"It's the best timing Ryder, I'm happy you finally grew a pair and asked me" she says with a cocked brow.