Chapter Eleven

Blake

The guys won their game tonight by a landslide, 34-14. They're officially undefeated this season which means we are onto the playoffs that start in a a weeks and the championship is right before Christmas break. We go back to the football house after the game and they throw a huge party to celebrate the milestone. The Aztecs haven't gone undefeated in almost a decade so this is huge for them and the coaches. All of the guys are riding on their high right now as Riley and I stand by and watch. Even Ryder is taking shots and enjoying himself more than usual.

I watch him, well all of them and feel like a proud mom. They've worked so hard for this and it's well deserved. I look over at Riley who is also drinking enough for herself and them, but I pace myself to make sure someone is sober enough to watch out for everyone. I make myself a cocktail and walk over to Dylan and give him a big hug "Congrats" he kisses my cheek.

I look over at Riley who's hanging all over Cayden and see something strange in her eyes. Since before I left to visit him, she's been acting strange and distant. We haven't hung out just the two of us in over a month because we're either busy or she makes up some excuse. She sleeps at the guy's house most days of the week and when we are together... something is off between us.

We got ready together before the game and it was first time in a while that it was just two of us. We pre gamed and listened to music while we got ready and it felt normal. I asked if I did something to upset her or if I'm hanging out with Ryder too much and not giving her enough of my time but she said no to it all. I wanted to believe her and move on from it, or chalk it up to my hormones or whatever but I can't shake the feeling.

Ryder pulls me over to him and hands me a shot with a lime. The two of us take them back and I quickly chew on the lime, because that damn burn is something I will never get used to. He pulls me into his chest and kisses me hungrily. When he pulls back he looks at me and does a double take, as he stares down at the jersey I'm wearing "Is that his?" he asks with a serious tone.

"Yeah, I've been rotating yours and his at each game" I look at him confused since he's seen me in them every week.

He shakes his head and pulls back "Why do you still wear his?" hsi words come out like a knife through the heart.

"Do I really need to explain myself?" I ask with a cocked brow and he's surprised I'm answering him like this.

"He cheated on you Blake and hurt you" I hate the look of disdain I see in his mossy eyes.

"I know... but he was my best friend and he's not here to explain himself Ryder. I can't just hate him" his angry expression doesn't ease up.

"Is this how it's always going to be?" he asks.

"What do you mean?"

"This... me living in his constant shadow. Always being compared to a ghost, is that how our relationship is going to be? I'd like to know" I have no idea where this is all coming from and it's taking a second for me to process it all.

"What? No... You're not in his shadow Ryder. I've never compared you to him"

He laughs "Bullshit Blake, everything has to do with him. I guess me filling his spot on the team doesn't help but I'm not him and I never will be" he grits out.

"Ryder I'm glad you're not like him okay? I want you" I try to be as clear as possible.

"If you wanted me you wouldn't show up in his jersey" before I can speak he storms of, shoving his way through the crowd and I'm left standing there heartbroken and confused.

I need some air, I push through the people behind me and walk out onto the patio. I look out at the water and let the waves soothe me, it's one of perks of this house is that it's right on the beach. A cool ocean breeze passes through and I take it, and then let the breath out finally starting to feel calm.