Chapter Five

Blake

Ryder will be here any minute to pick me up for our first official date. He stayed over for the first time last night, and although nothing happened between us it makes me laugh that we're doing things a little backwards. I woke up in the middle of the night having my usual nightmares and he held me until I calmed down and was able to go back to sleep.

We woke up this morning and talked about it, but I didn't go into detail. He left not much after and I ended up heading to the beach and paddling out to help clear my head. Afterwards I spent the afternoon getting ahead on some of my class assignments and then I started getting ready around five.

We're going to dinner and then mini golf, so I decided to wear a black tank with high waisted black jeans, a belt, my favorite black ankle boots and a tan suede jacket in case it gets cold. I curled my hair and put on a full face of makeup, even some lipstick. I'm adding some last minutes touches when there's a knock at the door and I hear Riley answer it "Looking good pretty boy" she says and it has me laughing.

I spray perfume and turn my light off before walking out "Hey Blue" he says with a charming smile and my heart flutters.

He's wearing a navy green shirt that make his eyes pop, black jeans with a flannel and vans. His hair is a perfect mess on his head and he has a bouquet of my favorite flowers in hand; tulips. "Are those for me?" I ask as I walk over to him.

"They are, fresh from the market" I take them from his hand as he leans in and kisses my cheek.

"They're beautiful, thank you" Riley grabs them out of my hand.

"I'll put them in a vase with some water, go enjoy your night" she says and spank my butt as we walk towards the front door.

We walk out and he grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers and guides us to his truck. He pulls out his keys to unlock it and then opens the passenger door for me "Such a gentleman" I joke as he grins proudly.

We cruise towards the downtown area and end up at this incredible steakhouse near the red light district. He pulls up and we get his truck valeted, one of the guys opens my door and helps me out and the other hands Ryder a ticket. We walk towards the entrance and when he gives the hostess his name, she takes us to a nice booth.

We each slide in as she hands us our menus and let's us know that our server will be right over. I open the large menu and scan over the drink list "What do you think?" he asks.

"This place is so nice, I would have been happy if you took me to Denny's... so you know" I joke and he chuckles.

"You deserve better than Denny's Blue" he says with a wink.

Just then our waiter comes over and we each order a drink, he sets down a basket of fresh bread and fills our water glasses then walks off. I take a much needed drink of mine and then grab a bread roll, "Thank you for being understanding of last night" I say nervously.

"You don't have to apologize" he insists.

"I could have at least given you a heads up about them. After we fell back asleep they didn't happen again which is unusual"

"Really?" he asks curiously.

"Yeah, so thank you for that" he smiles.

"Are they nightmares about the accident or what happened afterwards?"

"Both, it always starts with the accident and then goes to the hospital. They feel so real, like I can taste the blood in my mouth and feel the sheer panic... it's awful"

"I'm so sorry you have to go through that Blue. If I have to sleep with you every night to not make them happen I will" he says playfully.

"I appreciate it Ry" I keep calling him that and he seems to like it.