Chapter Fourteen

Ryder

The teams looking good this year, the school keeps saying it's me because I came on last year and whipped their asses into shape but I think the guys play a huge role in it. I remember when I was on this team and had that drive and motivation to be the best. I see that same look in a lot of these players eyes and it makes me proud to coach them. I was nervous coming back here, I had coached before but coming back to a place that I don't have the best memories at was a risk. But the second I stepped back onto this field and look up into the stands, I felt like I was at home.

Summer practices are over, the semester starts to day so it's back to late afternoon instead of early mornings. As I park in my spot and grab my bag, books and clip board I take a deep breath and step out. I drop by the old coffee shop and grab my usual order; vanilla latte and a muffin then I walk across campus towards the stadium. It's nice having an office in a building that no one is ever really occupying. Until practice starts, I get a lot of time to myself... to think or come up with new game plans.

As I walk across campus with an airpod in my ear, I stop dead in my tracks because I swear I'm staring at ghost. I see long blonde, wavy hair running down her back with a white button up on and dark blue jeans with flats. The front of her shirt is tucked on, so you can see the black belt that's around her small waist and she has on big black glasses. My heart lodges itself in my chest as I continue staring at the first girl I ever loved... and the one who broke my heart. Why the hell is she back?

I lose my appetite and dump the muffin I got into the trash can. I hate that my body still reacts how it used to towards her, even after all these years. My heart races, stomach does somersaults and my dick hardens. No matter how much bad blood we share or how much time passes by she'll always be the one that got away. A couple girls walk her way and bump into her, causing the papers she was carrying to fly all over. I wait to see if anyone will help her but no one does, so I sigh and put my big boy pants on as I jog over and grab the papers off of the floor.

I grab a stack and as she turns around I say "Looks like you dropped something Blue" her eyes widen in shock as she stares at me completely speechless.

"Ryder..." falls from her perfect lips.

I grin "Hey stranger" she takes the papers from my hand "What are you doing here?" I finally ask, ripping off the band aid.

"Thanks..." she says as she takes the papers and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear "Although it's none of your business, I got a job here" she tucks the papers under her arm.

"As what?" I hate how curious I am.

"A professor" my brows raise in admiration because she always wanted to be a teacher and this is a level up from that.

"Congrats" I say and awkwardly scratch the back of my neck.

"Thanks, are you.... coaching?" I nod.

"Yeah it's my second year" the tensions thick between us and I can't tell if it's good or bad.

"Cool, I should get going" I don't stop her or say anything to make her stay so she walks off and stand there staring at as a million memories flood through my mind.

I hate that nosalogic feeling that hits when I hear a song, watch a movie or see something that I know she would like and all of those old feelings come flooding through. Reading the note she left on the windshield of my truck was one of the most heartbreaking moments I've ever gone through. She was hurt, angry and broken in the inside and I hate that she didn't lean on me to help her through it all. Instead she went home to her dad and brother's which I'm glad she had but I wanted to be the one to heal her.