Chapter Eighteen

Ryder

It's been a few weeks of Axel seeing Blake, and everytime he gushes about her or the date they went on I have to reel my jealousy in and check myself. I'm not sure what she told him about us or if he's even asked, but he hasn't brought anything up to me and part of me is glad. She's clearly moved on and is trying to with someone, I can't get in the middle and I shouldn't stop it.

But it fucking kills each time we're at practice and I catch him smiling down at his phone like a teenager texting his first crush. I hate it because I remember what it's like to be in his position, to get those cute texts from her or when she randomly sends a selfie or gif and you can't help but smile and laugh. I was him for a chunk of time and it was the best few months of my life.

We're going to see some local rock band play at the House of Blues tonight. It's me, the guys, Callan, Blake and some chick Carson's been sleeping with. Tonight's the first time that Blake and Callan will meet, I'm nervous and excited because I feel like they'll hit it off. Blake's mentioned her before, Axel's told me that she asked if Callan was my girlfriend and he didn't deny it but he also didn't confirm it either. The guys know where I stand with Cal, regardless of their jokes they know she's a cool chick and we have fun together.

We finish our last practice of the week and the team heads to the locker room to shower. I hang back with some of the other coaches and we compare some notes and go over a few things. When I head back in, finally Axel comes and finds me in my office "Knock, knock" he says and I tell him to come in. He walks over and takes a seat in the chair across from me.

"We're meeting there at seven right?" I ask as I look down at my book.

"Yeah, you nervous?" I look up at him with a cocked brow.

"Nervous? Why would I be?" I try to remain calm.

"Because your current girl and ex are going to meet tonight for the first time" he says with a sarcastic grin.

"Callan knows all about her, and Blake and I are friends now. There's nothing to worry about man, I'm happy you two are doing good" he nods.

"Are you sure? I hope you know our friendship comes first and it ever bothered you I would end it. Just say the word" he says seriously but I know he wouldn't.... because I wouldn't.

"Ax, I'm happy for you okay? Don't worry about me. Her and I are on good terms and I like seeing you two together so don't sweat it" I reassure him and he relaxes more.

"So what do you think of the girl Carson's bringing?" we both laugh.

"Some chick he's been sleeping with, hopefully we don't call her the wrong name... again" he says and we both crack up.

"Seriously he was so mad last time, fuck" Axel stands and is about to walk out.

"See you later boo" I say jokingly as he looks back and blows me a kiss.

I finish up at the office and then head home, when I get there Callan's sitting on the couch with her laptop on her lap, laser focused on whatever she's doing. I set my keys on the counter along with my hat and run a hand through my mess hair as I walk into the kitchen.

"How was practice?" she asks.

"Good, how was your day?" I ask.

"It was good, I was busy taking pictures of the baseball and basketball team. I have a wedding to shoot tomorrow so this weekends going to be busy"

"You excited for tonight?" I say and she smirks.

"What? To finally meet the infamous Blake for real... I am. When we saw her at the market I was like damn this girls hot. A shame she's with Axel now" she adds and I sense the humor.