Chapter Three

Blake

The first month has passed by in a breeze, and tonight the Aztecs won the first game of the season. I was hesitant to go, I haven't been to a game since Fowlin played but Riley talked me into it and I wanted to see Ryder play. I missed the feeling of adrenaline from the excited and amped up crowd. We pre gamed a little and then got more beers at the stadium, by the end I was a little buzzed but more so from the win. We all end up at the football house after to celebrate the victory and half the school joins us. The house is packed when Riley and I show up, we shove our way through sweaty bodies to find the guys in the kitchen.

I have Fowlin's old jersey on with a white long sleeve underneath, high waisted jeans and a pair of high top converse. My hairs in two french braids and I tried on my makeup for tonight, Ryder's eyes immediately find mine as we walk in and I feel butterflies flood through my stomach. I walk over to him and give him a big hug "You played amazing tonight" I say with a grin.

He smiles back matching mine "Thank you, I'm happy you came"

I take a step back after we pull apart "Me too" Maddox comes up behind me wraps his arms around my waist, and rests his head on my shoulder.

"Not going to say hi to me?" I turn my head and kiss his cheek.

Then I turn around completely and give him a big bear hug "Congrats on the big win" he picks me up and then sets me back down.

"Thanks Lake, here have a beer" he cracks open a cold one for me.

"Thank you" I take a big sip and then look back over at Ryder.

I feel some tension between the two of them and cock a brow at Ryder "I'm going to grab a drink, I'll be right back" he says and walks off.

I stand there feeling a little disappointed and then Riley waltzes over "Congrats Maddy boy" she says and smacks his ass.

He just laughs "Thanks Riles"

"Where did your sexy boy go Lake?" she asks and I notice Maddox tense up.

"He went to grab a drink" I say and she nods.

"What do you think about him Madd?" she asks.

"He's a good guy and one hell of a QB... but I don't know too much about him"

"He seems to have his eye on our girls, so you better get some insider info so we know he's good enough for our girl here" she nudges his waist with hers.

"Hey, we're just friends getting to know one another. It's nothing serious" I defend.

"You text every day and hang out all of the time Lakey... C'mon now" she says while wiggling her brows.

"Dance with me Lake" Maddox says and tugs on my arm.

I finish gulping down my beer and set it on the counter "Okay" he pulls me into the living room and the two of us dance while Cayden grabs onto Riley's waist and dances with her.

Maddox twirls me around and I laugh and smile, he turns me so I have my back to him. Then I feel his hands on my waist and we sway our hips in synchrony, it doesn't feel as weird as I thought it would. I feel his rock hard chest pressed against my back and feel at ease with his strong hands on my waist. I close my eyes and get lost in the music, when I feel his breath on my neck "You look beautiful tonight Lake" he whispers into my ear.

Goosebumps cover my entire body "Thank you" I nervously say back to him.

Maddox has never been like this with me, when we first met and he didn't know I was with Fowlin he was a little flirty. But once he realized he immediately stepped into the friend zone and we always goofed off and were friendly together. But right now, this feels like more... almost like we're crossing some invisible line that I'm not sure I want to go over.