Chapter Nine

Blake

I walk through the door of my dad's house and my three years old niece, Adelaide or Addy comes running over and wraps herself around my legs "Aunty Lakey" she says as I set my bag down and pick her up. She hugs me in the sweetest embrace and I have to fight the happy tears that are begging to fall.

"I've missed you sweet Addy, how are you?" I ask and set her down.

She takes my hand "So so good, daddy's in the kitchen with pop pop" she pulls me along and when we round the corner Corey's face lights up.

"Blake" he says and walks over to hug me.

"Hey Core, I've missed you" I say and wrap my arms around him "Is Carrie here?" he shakes his head.

"No she couldn't get the time off, but you'll see her for Christmas" I sigh.

"Damn, he dad" I say and he walks over and bear hugs me.

"How's my favorite daughter doing?"

"I'm your only daughter" I say and he laughs.

"I mean Stone has his girly moments..." he jokes as I hear footsteps come up from behind me.

"Excuse me? Corey is way more girly than me" right when I hear his voice, tears stream down my cheeks.

"Stone" I say and jump into his arms.

"Lake" he says back "You look good"

I wipe my eyes "Thanks, things have been better" I say and try to hide the smirk as I think about Ryder.

"Oh yeah? Is that because of your boyfriend?" he asks and I swat at his arm.

"How the hell do you know about him?" he cracks up.

"Social media, idiot. You post pics with him remember?" I nod.

"Oh yeah, ooops" my dad gives me a look.

"Sorry I didn't tell you dad..."

"It's okay, I'm just happy you're happy angel" he says and kisses my temple.

Stone reaches down and picks up Addy "Let's go outside Adds" he carries her into the yard and that's when Ranger barrels inside almost knocking me down.

Ranger is my dad's three year old Golden Retriever that I've missed more than all of them... joking of course "Range! Come here boy" I squat down and let him lick my face.

I dust his hair off and turn back to grab my bag before heading upstairs to my room. I walk down the hall and look at all of the pictures lined up on the wall. It's a literal trip down memory lane and the tears fall all over again when I stop at the last family picture we ever took with my mom. I run my finger along it and whisper "I miss you so much mom" when a hand lightly squeezes my shoulder.

"She would be so proud of you" my dad says.

"I hope so" he grabs my bag for me and I follow him to my room.

"You know she's looking down watching you with the biggest smile Blake" I let out a breath and sit on the edge of my bed.

"Being here makes me miss her even more" I say.

"I know, I'm sorry sweetie... are you sure you're doing okay?" I nod.

"I am dad, I promise. Ryder... my boyfriend has helped me so much. He's the reason I'm not still locked up on my apartment anymore. I owe it all to him"

He smiles "Give yourself some credit too Angel. You're a hell of a lot stronger than you think" his words remind me of Ryder.

I quickly pull my phone out to let him know I made it safely "You going to survive a few days without him?" he asks humorously.