Chapter 5 - The Mind Flayer

Quinn's POV
We trekked through the forest for a while until we got to a huge building. Dustin told me that it was Hawkins Lab.

As we walked up to the building, the Hawkins police chief and a woman I didn't know dashed out of the building. Mike and Will were with them and they all jumped into the police chief's vehicle. Will was asleep and the chief laid him in the back seat of the car.

"Hey! Get in the car now!" The chief shouted.

Without question, we all clambered into the police chief's car. I later learned that the police chief's name was Jim Hopper.

We pulled up to a house I had never been to before which was apparently Jonathan and Will's house and the woman I didn't know was their mom, Joyce.

Hopper and Joyce were in her room and Joyce was an absolute mess. I wasn't sure what happened at the lab, but I knew it had something to do with the demogorgans.

Dustin was at the kitchen island explaining what the strange creature was that had apparently possessed Will.

"It's called the Mind Flayer. It's from an unknown dimension and steals your mind, using it against you. Its main goal is to take over the world," Dustin explained.

He was reading from his dungeons and dragons manual which is apparently how they identified the demogorgan too.

"Like the Germans back in World War Two," Steve said. Dustin frowned.

"You mean like the Nazis?" He asked. Steve nodded.

"Yeah, yeah. The Nazis. I meant to say that,"

I rolled my eyes knowing full well that Steve didn't actually mean the Nazis because he forgot the name thanks to his lack of paying attention in American history.

"So how do we destroy this Mind Flayer?" Hopper asked as he looked at the book that was on the counter. Dustin shrugged.

"Well, you would have to summon an army of the undead because zombies don't have brains. I'll stop talking now," he muttered when his eyes met Hopper's and he saw the chief's confused expression.

Obviously summoning zombies was impossible but there were probably other ways to take down the Mind Flayer.

"We need to kill this thing. It is hurting my boy and I want him back," Joyce said as she walked into the room.

"Before we can do that, we need to figure out what we need to do. We can't just walk into this blind and hope for a good outcome," Hopper explained. Mike hopped up from where he was sitting as though he had an idea.

"Will is like a spy for the Mind Flayer. If we can talk to him, he can tell us what to do. How to stop it," the black haired boy said. Joyce frowned.

"But he would find out where we are and send those demodogs after us. It's a hive mind. The Mind Flayer will find out where it is and send its army here," Dustin said.

"Demodogs?" Lucas questioned. Dustin nodded.

"Yeah. Because they're a mix between a demogorgan and a dog."

"What if we just make it seem like it's a place he doesn't know. Like the shed. We can easily clean it out and make it look like a place that Will's never been to," Hopper explained. Joyce shrugged.

"We can try it. Anything to help my boy," she said.

We worked together quickly to block the windows and cover the walls with newspaper and tarps. We covered the entire shed from top to bottom in order to make sure that Will didn't know where he was.