Chapter 14 - Simply Not Meant to Be

Quinn's POV
"Max! It's time to go!" I called as I grabbed my car keys off the dining table.

Max ran over to me and walked to the car with her skateboard under her arm.

The way my sister had been acting lately worried me. She had been having nightmares and bad headaches. My mom had been sending her to the school counselor in hopes that they'd be able to help Max but she was still having problems.

Other than my sister, I was excited for school to be over. It was March which meant graduation was practically two and a half months away.

When I wasn't in school, I was at Family Video, working with Steve and Robin. Right now, Steve and I were kind of split up so working together isn't as easy anymore.

After school started up again, the two of us had a fight and we decided that splitting up for a while would probably be a good idea. Robin always tries to keep everything positive so work doesn't seem depressing.

A lot can happen in a couple of months and apparently Steve and I might not be meant to be together.

*

I pulled into the school parking lot and Max immediately got out, turning on her Walkman and placing her headphones over her ears. She dropped her skateboard to the ground and began to ride to the school.

I grabbed my backpack and walked towards the school. I saw Steve's maroon car out of the corner of my eye and Robin got out. She waved goodbye to him and walked towards the school.

Steve gave me a little wave and then drove away. I sighed. Robin walked over to me and rolled her eyes.

"You guys are ridiculous. When are you going to make up?" She asked with a frown. I shrugged.

"I don't know. I want to but at the same time I don't. It's complicated," I muttered.

"I know what you mean," Nancy Wheeler said as she popped up next to me. I smiled.

"You dated Steve so you know exactly what I'm talking about, don't you?" I asked. Nancy nodded.

"Yep. Steve's complicated. And sometimes you don't know whether you should be mad at him or not." She said with a laugh. I shrugged.

"That sounds about right,"

That morning, we had a pep rally for the basketball team. I wasn't super excited about it but Lucas was on the team so I cared a little.

The basketball team captain, Jason Carver, took the microphone and began to talk into it.

"Good morning, Hawkins High! First off, I would like to thank each and every one of you. Without your support, we wouldn't be here. Give yourselves a big round of applause! And of course I have to give a special shout out to the best and the prettiest group of all time. The Tiger Cheer Squad! Chrissy, Chrissy I love you babe." Jason said with a smile.

Chrissy blew Jason a kiss as the school all oooohed and ahhhed over them.

"You know, I think I can speak for all of us when I say it's been a tough year for Hawkins. So much loss. I wonder how much loss a town can take. In dark days like this, we need something to keep us moving. Last night when we were down ten points at half against Christian Academy, I looked at my team and I said, 'Think of Jay, think of Melissa, think of Heather, think of Billy.'" Jason explained.

A few tears slipped down my cheek as I thought of Billy at that moment. I saw Max looking sad too.

"Think about our old police chief, Jim Hopper. Think about each and everyone of our friends who died in that fire. What did they die for?! For us to lose to some crap school?! No! For us to return home with our heads hung low in defeat?! No! No! Let's win this game! Let's win this game for them and that's exactly what we did! And tonight, tonight, we're gonna bring home the champion trophy!" Jason shouted.