Chapter 7 - Summer Break

Quinn's POV
I sat on my bed reading a book when Max came into my room.

"Come on Quinn! You promised you would take us to the mall! We need to go now or the movie will start before we get there!" She shouted. I sighed as I got out of bed.

I had promised Max and her friends that I would take them to Starcourt Mall and see a movie. This plan worked perfectly because I had to work around the same time the movie started.

I worked at Scoops Ahoy in the mall with Steve and a girl named Robin who was apparently in my grade.

This made Steve happy because it meant he got to spend more time with me.

Towards the end of the school year, my mother and stepfather bought me a car. Ever since then, Max and her friends would always ask me for rides and I gladly did. I had become pretty close with Max's friends over the last couple months.

When we got to the mall, the kids pushed and shoved through people on the escalator to get upstairs to the theatre. I could hear Lucas shout at his sister, Erica, as I got upstairs.

They all entered Scoops Ahoy before I did and when I entered, Steve was allowing them all to go out the back door of Scoops and to the theatre.

"If anyone finds out about this..."

"We're dead," the kids all said together as they left. Steve shut the door and smiled warmly when he saw me.

"Quinn, I missed you." He said as he walked towards me. I grabbed his red ascot on his uniform and pulled him in for a kiss.

"It's only been a day," I said as I pulled away from his kiss.

"Ugh. You guys are so gross. We're at work. You can get fired for that kind of stuff," Robin muttered from behind us. I rolled my eyes.

"Don't worry Robin. We're done now. If you want, I can take the next person. It looks like it's Erica coming back for more samples," I said with a shrug. Robin nodded and then added another line to a silly sign she had created a couple days ago. It said you rule, you suck. Right now, there were six you sucks on the board and zero you rules. The board was created for Steve.

"You are oh for six Popeye," Robin said with a smile. Steve frowned.

"Yeah, yeah. I can count," he muttered in annoyance.

"You know that means you suck," Robin said. Steve nodded.

"Yeah. I can read too. What was the reason behind that tally though?" Steve asked in annoyance. Robin shrugged.

"That one was just for fun," she replied. I laughed at the girl's antics and then turned my attention towards Erica Sinclair.

"Welcome to Scoops Ahoy. What can I get for you?" I asked, already knowing that this was probably Erica's tenth time up to the counter for a sample.

"I want a sample of the rocky road," she said. I sighed.

"Erica, you're gonna make us run out of ice cream. You can't just take our samples all the time," I replied to the ten year old girl. Erica frowned.

"I'm a customer. You're supposed to give me free samples if I want them," she argued. I sighed, not wanting to argue with Lucas's sister.

"Fine. Here," I muttered as I grabbed a sample spoon and dipped it into the rocky road before handing the sample spoon to Erica.

The girl took the spoon and tried the ice cream. She then looked at all the flavors to choose which one to try next.

"I'd like a sample of Cherry's Jubilee please," Erica said. I handed her the sample spoon with the ice cream on it, knowing that she was most likely going to ask to try another flavor.