Chapter 19 - Do It For Me, Steve

Quinn's POV
"I know you guys are staring at me," Max muttered as she looked back at the boys in annoyance. I had been upstairs and just come downstairs as she started talking.

The boys began to busy themselves, pretending that they hadn't been staring. They argued that they were not sitting there staring as they busied themselves.

"How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." My sister explained as she got up from the desk and walked over to us.

Steve was tossing a ball into the air and Dustin and Lucas were reading books as their way of making it look like they hadn't been staring.

"You can look at me now," my sister muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Thank you. Sorry," Dustin said. Lucas and Steve said their sorry's too and looked at my sister.

"For you," Max said, holding an envelope out for Dustin to take. Dustin grabbed it gingerly, looking nervous. Max then handed envelopes to Steve, Lucas, and I. "For you, for you, and, um, you. Oh and, um, give these to Mike, El, and Will. If you can ever get ahold of them,"

As Steve and Dustin started to open their envelope, Max stopped them.

"Hey! Whoa! What are you doing?! No don't. That's not for now. Don't open them now,"

"Oh... ok," Dustin muttered. Dustin looked down at the envelope in confusion. "I'm sorry, what is this?"

"It's, um... it's a fail safe. For after... if things don't work out," Max replied. I shook my head.

"What? No, Max, things are gonna work out." Lucas said before I could say anything. Max scoffed.

"No. No. I don't need you to reassure me right now and tell me that it's all gonna work out because people have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean, of course, this jerk curses me. I should have seen that one coming,"

Without thinking, I grabbed Steve's hand as tears spilled down my cheeks. Steve looked over at me, a look of shock and confusion on his face. I pulled my hand away and pulled my sister in for a hug.

"I don't want to lose you too, Max." I whispered. My sister sighed as she leaned into my hug.

"I wish this never happened," she said between sobs. I nodded.

"Me too,"

Steve's POV
"Max, Max, seriously, I'm not joking, ok?! I'm not driving you anywhere," I argued as Max began walking towards my car.

"Steve, if you think that I'm going to spend what is gonna be the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike's basement, you are out of your mind so take me where I need to go or you're gonna have to tie me down which is technically kidnapping of a minor. If I live to see another day, Steve, I swear I will prosecute." Max explained as she grabbed the car door handle and tried to open it. I had locked it, not wanting to let her leave. "Open the door,"

"Uh, no." I muttered, shaking my head. Max frowned.

"I know a good lawyer,"

I looked at Max in confusion but shook my head none the less. Quinn walked over to me and grabbed my hand.

"Steve, please let us go where she wants to," Quinn begged. I shook my head.

"No way,"

"Please. For me, Steve?" Quinn whispered into my ear. My eyes grew wide, surprised by Quinn's closeness. She hadn't been this close in months. The boys shook their heads, whispering for me to say no.