Chapter 8 - Place Your Bets

It was the day of the first task of the tournament and everyone seemed excited to watch. The rumour of dragons being the first task seemed to spread around the school quite quickly and everyone was excited to see the champions battle it out with them. Milena wasn't as excited, more so because she was worried about Harry. She had faith that the others would be alright and while she had faith in Harry too, she couldn't help but worry for the younger student.

That afternoon, everyone was ready to head down to the stadium where the first task would happen. The twins had already gone ahead with Lee to start collecting money for the bets. Milena, Angelina, Alicia and Katie went together just after them to find seats for everyone. It was a cold fall afternoon with little sun because of the clouds that had formed, so Milena had bundled herself up in a medium length brown fall jacket and her Gryffindor scarf she'd had since first year. She was more than comfy and ready for the insanity she was about to witness.

The girls found themselves some seats near the front of the stands where they saved three spots for the boys when they were done making their rounds. It was getting close to the start of the competition and Milena was starting to wonder when the boys would make it back. She had lost track of where they were, which was often hard to do and she began to scan the crowd trying to figure out where they had gone.

"Wanna place a bet?" Fred asked from behind Milena making her jump.

"Jeez Fred," Milena said, holding her hand on her chest for a moment. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"Sorry Love," he said, trying to hold back a grin. "Well, do you wanna place a bet?"

Milena let out a sigh, gaining her composure again. "Sure. Put me down for Viktor coming in first place for five sickles."

"You got it," Fred said, writing down the bet. "A bit of a safe bet though if you ask me."

Milena rolled her eyes and shook her head. Fred, George and Lee took their seats that the girls had saved for them and soon after the first trial began. Everyone seemed to have their fair share of challenges with the task. Each champion had to manage to steal the egg from a different dragon without getting killed in the most creative ways they could think of only using their wands. Each champion managed to get their egg nearly dying in the process, but making it out. When it was the final champion's turn, they brought out the last dragon. Milena wasn't particularly knowledgeable in dragons but she knew the Hungarian Horntail when she saw one. When they had learned about them in Care for Magical Creatures, she never forgot the image of them because of how nasty they seemed. Harry was the only champion left and she knew this wouldn't end well.

When Harry stepped out of the tent and into the arena, Milena grabbed onto Fred's arm with a slightly tightened grip. Harry took a couple steps out and then raced towards the egg but the dragon swung its tail at him, nearly throwing him into the air. Milena's grip on Fred's arm only got tighter.

"If you hold on any tighter, you might break my arm," Fred joked.

"Sorry Freddie," Milena said, keeping her eyes glued to Harry and loosening her grip a little.

Sometime went by and Harry had used his wand to call on his broom. He was soon soaring through the air with a newly escaped dragon chasing after him. He flew off, disappearing from the crowd for a while leaving Milena scared that he may have died in the forest somewhere.

"Where do you think he went?" Milena asked.

"He's probably doing laps around the school to tire out the dragon," Fred guessed.

A few moments later someone shouted "Over there!" and everyone was looking into the sky to see Harry zooming back into the arena and scooping up the egg. Milena let out a sigh of relief and finally let go of Fred's arm. Everyone cheered for Harry as he finished his first task and it was announced that he tied for first place with Krum.