Chapter 41 - Christmas at the Burrow

As if the weather hadn't already been cold enough, winter approached and left a mix of slush and snow layered over the city. Plans for Christmas were already being discussed and it was no surprise to Milena that they would be spending it with the Weasley's at the Burrow. Though she made plans to visit her parents for a day just before Christmas. She'd stop by to see them before they left to visit some family in France and then head straight for the Burrow afterwards. Fred had insisted on coming with her, his excuse was that he couldn't possibly let his "soon to be in-laws" leave without seeing them for Christmas, but Milena had a feeling he just didn't want to leave her alone to get to the Burrow.

Milena stored the textbooks Angelina had given to her at the bottom of her trunk just under some of her pajamas. She wasn't sure if she'd get any time to read more of the textbooks, but she had been flipping through them on quiet days and even practicing some of the spells when she had some free time. She was hoping at some point she'd be able to get to some of the more advanced stuff and she felt she would be ready for it soon, but it was much trickier than she could have expected. But it was healing magic afterall, a very precise kind of magic that you can't take shortcuts on.

George went ahead to the Burrow with all of their things packed for the holidays and they would meet everyone else at the Burrow after dinner. Once again, they all stood outside the shop, but this time apparating to separate locations. George sent off the luggage and in a moment, turned on the spot and disappeared.

"Shall we then?" Fred asked, turning to Milena and holding his arm out for her to hold.

"I think we shall." Milena nodded, taking his arm.

Within a second, they were both turned on the spot, being squeezed for a moment before landing on the road outside of Milena's parent's home. Milena began to walk towards the house, but Fred stood there for a moment staring at the house.

"You coming?" Milena called to him.

"Yeah, sorry," He said, "I've just never really seen a muggle neighbourhood at Christmas time. There's a lot of lights."

"Yes, muggles tend to make light displays for Christmas," Milena laughed. "Now can we go inside? It's freezing."

"Right, yeah." He said, marching up to the front door with Milena.

She pushed the door open and was immediately hit with a waft of turkey and potatoes. The sound of muggle Christmas music was playing from the kitchen and echoing down the hallway and in the living room was her family's Christmas tree covered in an assortment of family ornaments and ones from her childhood they'd kept over the years.

"Hello?" Milena called out. "Your favourite child is here!"

Her mum poked her head out from the kitchen's swinging door.

"Ah yes, Fred my favourite!" Mrs. Carter teased with a grin.

"Nice to see you too, mum." Milena laughed as her mum cheerily gave her a hug.

"Merry Christmas," Fred smiled, as she pulled him into a hug as well.

"Merry Christmas! Dinner'll be just a couple of minutes. Take your coats off, get washed up, then make yourselves comfortable!" Her mum said as she hurried back into the kitchen.

The pair eventually joined her dad in the dining room where he was just finishing setting the table for everyone. Soon, the four of them were sitting around the small table, enjoying the dinner that Milena's mum had prepared and happily chatting about what everyone had been up to. Her dad seemed to take an interest in the shop they had been running for months now and seemed almost as impressed as Milena was the first time she saw it. When the night came to an end and everyone was full of Christmas dinner and wine and pleasantly satisfied with their gifts, Milena noticed the time was almost ten o'clock at night.