Chapter 13 - A Terrible Liar

It was a cold January morning and Milena had dressed herself in a warm sweater and some casual jeans to meet with Ivan. She had told him to meet her outside the Great Hall since that's where they always seemed to run into each other.

"Hello Milena," he greeted with a smile, his hands in his front pockets.

"Hi Ivan," she greeted back. "You ready to see every nook of this school I can think of?"

"Of course," he said.

The two began their tour around the school that Milena knew would take them hours if she actually showed him everything. So, she opted to show him her favourite places around the school and a few important places to remember. They wandered around for a while, showing him where the kitchen was hidden (which she only knew thanks to the twins), the astronomy tower and where every bathroom she could think of was located. After over an hour of walking around and looking at every little place Milena could think of, they made it to the library where a few students were reading or preparing for classes which would be returning very soon.

"So, here is our school's library, it's a great place for studying and reading when you want a quiet place," Milena explained. "Well, except for when Fred and George choose it as their target for pranks, but they don't pick here too often."

Ivan slightly rolled his eyes at her joke about Fred and George and continued to scan around the room.

"Of course they vould," he said.

"What?"

"Vell I've heard a few things about them, they just sound like a lot to handle," Ivan said.

He began to walk further into the library, reading the signs for where certain books are. His eyes then fell on the sign above a locked area of the library and he read it out loud.

"Restricted section." He read. "Vhy is it restricted?"

"Oh it's for older students with professor's permission and professor's to study from," Milena quickly explained. "But can we go back to the twins for a second? What do you mean 'you've heard a few things?'"

"People have just told me stories of these pranks they like to pull and the ones that have gone a little too far." Ivan explained. "If I had to deal vith them, I think I'd lose it."

"Well they are actually quite good people when you get to know them," Milena defended. "I mean they can definitely be a handful, yes, but it's always in good fun."

"If you say so," Ivan said, starting to look through a nearby bookshelf. "Vould you like to sit for a little vhile?"

"Uh yeah sure," Milena said, following him to a table where they sat down across from each other.

"I trust that you know vhat you're doing, you obviously have a history vith them, I just think a girl like you deserves better than someone as immature as him." He explained. Something in the tone of his voice felt condescending, like he was talking down to her.

"Oh you do?" Milena retorted.

"Yes I do."

"Well thank you for your concern, but I think I'm alright."

"I'm sure you are, you seem quite strong." He said.

The two sat in silence for a moment, Ivan still seemed to be scanning the library, trying to memorize where everything was in the room.

"Well... would you like to go back to the main courtyard, maybe see the owlery and the quidditch pitch?" Milena asked, just trying to break the silence.

"Sure." He said in his usual friendly tone as if he wasn't just speaking poorly of anyone.

They left the library and walked back to the entrance of the courtyard, taking them a few minutes to get there. Milena had her jacket with her, knowing she'd probably want to show off the quidditch pitch at some point. The two didn't actually go to the pitch as it had been closed off for the Triwizard tournament. From the school courtyard, you could see the snow-covered pitch almost perfectly. Milena pointed towards it to show Ivan where it was.