Chapter 44 - Guilt

"Dumbledore is dead."

In the rush of everything that had happened at Hogwarts, Milena had not heard what had happened until she finally was able to find Fred who had joined up with his dad and was now covered in dust. The shock of the news didn't seem to sink in entirely until she was standing outside with everyone else staring up at the dark mark over the astronomy tower. Not only had a death occurred, but Bill had been attacked by the infamous werewolf, Greyback and was now in the hospital wing. Mrs. Weasley had arrived shortly to see him and though she clearly wanted to stay, she eventually went home, leaving him in Fleur's care.

Fred's arm was tightly held around Milena. He wouldn't let her out of his sight now. Everyone seemed to be holding onto someone as they all crowded around the tower, seeing the lifeless body of their headmaster.

Milena wasn't sure what exactly it was that she was feeling. No tears fell from her eyes, there was no anger or rage building in her, she just felt sort of... empty. She wasn't sure if it was grief from the sudden loss, exhaustion from the entire night, or the realization that the leader of the Order of the Phoenix had been taken down in one night.

Everyone was silent. Even those who seemed to be crying were doing so without a sound. Without a word, McGonagall raised her wand into the air and cleared the menacing dark mark from the sky with a beautiful, golden ray of light. Fred held Milena to him, just a little bit closer now.

~~~

"The Death Eaters seem to have all left now, Hogwarts is secure for now. Go home and take Milena with you. Get some rest." Arthur whispered to Fred as they stood just outside of the Great Hall in the rubble and dust. "And thank you for your help."

Fred only nodded at his father with a weak smile.With his arm still wrapped around her, he turned her around and they began their walk back to the front gates and down into Hogsmeade where they could apparate away.

Milena hadn't said a word since she was woken up on the floor of the Great Hall. Fred had found her unconscious, but still breathing. The Death Eater had knocked her out when he burst into smoke and flew off. She had never seen so much panic and relief in Fred than in that moment.

"Are you able to apparate?" Fred asked softly. Milena nodded. "To the Burrow then. I'll meet you there."

He let go of her for the first time in over an hour and in unison, they spun on the spot and Hogsmeade melted from view, turning into the little dirt road up to the Burrow. The sun had just begun to rise over the horizon and the sound of birds chirping surrounded them. It was peaceful here.

Fred was just a few feet ahead of her and when she appeared behind him, he held out his hand. She instantly took it and the two walked to the Burrow, holding each other's hands tightly.

Mrs. Weasley was waiting for them in the kitchen, busying herself with cleaning dishes that were already spotless and furiously drying them. When the front door creaked open, her head shot up to see who was entering her home. Her eyes lit up the moment she saw Fred and Milena walk in, covered in dust, soot, dirt, dried blood, and about every other thing that had flown around Hogwarts.

"Oh thank goodness you two are alright!" She said as she pulled them both into hugs and gave them each a peck on the cheek. "Why don't you two go get yourselves cleaned up and I'll get some breakfast ready then you can go have a rest. I'm sure more people will show up."

Milena nodded and left for the shower.

"Thanks mum," she heard Fred say. "Love you."

The shower was probably the best thing Milena had felt all night. The warm water rained over her as she wet her hair and just let the water run down her. She wasn't sure how long she'd been in the shower, but by the time she had finally gotten out and wrapped herself in a warm, fluffy towel, she could smell breakfast wafting up the stairs. Her clothes she had been wearing all day were now freshly cleaned and neatly folded on the end of Ginny's bed for her to put back on.