Chapter 10 - A Dress Made of Fire

After her defence against the dark arts class the next day, Milena found herself bundled up and trekking through the snow to the owlery where her owl Fred had bought her was resting. She had chosen to name him Fidget as he liked to play with little trinkets and stationary of hers when they were at home.

She knew her parents were aware of the Yule Ball, but she still wanted to send them a letter home letting them know she wouldn't be home for Christmas this year, but she would still be sending them gifts as she always did. She knew even if she didn't have a date to the Yule Ball, she didn't want to miss it and would go either way.

Milena hadn't talked much at all to Fred since the Yule Ball practice. They said a few words here and there to each other throughout the day when they had their classes together, but Fred seemed more quiet and closed off, making her worry she might have said something or done something wrong.

Milena entered the owlery with her letter addressed to her parents in hand. No one was inside, but the sounds of cooing and hooting coming from the many birds made more than enough noise on its own.

"Fidget!" Milena called out for the bird. In a few seconds, the little barn owl swooped down from above. Milena held out her arm for him to perch on her and she handed the letter to him. "Can you take this to my parents please?"

The bird let out a little hoot and took the letter in its beak. She gave him a couple strokes on the head and he nuzzled into her hand before flying off of her arm and out the open window of the tower. Milena made her way back out of the owlery, passing a few people headed into the tower, and went back into the warmth of the school again. Stomping the snow off of her boots and brushing it off of her coat, she removed her hat and scarf and shook out her hair a little. She didn't have too much longer before she had to be to her last class of the day so she went back to her dorm to put away her winter attire and grab the books she would need for history of magic.

History of magic wasn't necessarily her favourite class of the week because of how slow it was. She found it interesting learning the history of the wizarding world, but Professor Binns talked in such a slow and monotone voice that it was sometimes hard to listen to him. The only thing that even kept her awake in the class was having Angelina, Katie and Alicia in it with her.

The four of them sat at two desks near the back together where they could turn to face each other and chat when they wanted to. Binns was never very strict about talking in his class, but Milena was sure it was just because he never noticed.

"So Lee told us that a Durmstrang boy asked you to the ball," Katie whispered.

"You got asked to the ball?" Angelina gasped.

"Yeah, just after dinner last night when I left the great hall. He stopped me and asked if I had a date yet." Milena explained yet again.

"Was he cute?" Alicia asked.

"I mean yeah he was," Milena said.

"So did you say yes to him? Do you have a date to the ball?" Katie pried.

"No, I didn't say yes to him," Milena said.

Katie looked at her a little disappointed.

"Well why didn't you? Unless..." Katie gasped. "You want Fred to ask you, don't you!?"

Milena shushed her, looking around the room to make sure no one was listening. Everyone was either asleep or zoned out, so she didn't think anyone was listening.

"Oh my god, you do want him to ask you!" Katie said. "I knew you liked him!"

Her three friends quietly squealed with each other as Milena's face continued to grow more red.