XXVII

We could make a good thing bad

"Yes, but I'm your idiot."

●————♙————●

It was now approaching Diana's least favourite holiday, Valentine's Day. As someone who'd never had a partner for a single valentine's day in her life, it just never tickled her fancy.

This year, she was in a completely different situation. There was the whole James situation, they hadn't spoken in weeks but no one missed the lingering glances during classes and in the great hall, well, except for Diana and James of course.

It was horrible, every time she saw James all Diana wanted to do was run up to him and apologise and tell him that she does know he cares and that she was just having a shitty day. Then she sees Lily Evans walk by and her and James smile at each other and boom, the pit of jealousy is back like a boulder in her gut. Right then, Matthew McKinnon grabs her wrist, pulls her around making her gut fill with butterflies replacing the jealousy.

Matthew McKinnon was what had sparked a bit of hope for Diana this year. He was everything she could've possibly asked for, he was amazing and Diana really liked him. What they had was light and different, it wasn't like her and James where Diana felt raw and it was so complicated.

"Can I kiss you?" Matthew asked with a smirk that made her heart swoon, it reminded her so much of Ja- No, shut the fuck up she told herself and put her focus back on the boy in front of her.

"Of course," she smiled, their lips connected and it made Diana's head spin.

The two pulled away from each other and Matthew smiled at her "Go out with me." he whispered, catching Diana off guard.

"What?"

"Go out with me, I'll take you out for Valentine's day and we can try this, try us for real." he grinned, Diana's insides twisted. How could she go out with Matthew when she still fancied James? Well, of course she did because it's hard to get rid of feelings she's had for six years. But Matthew was wonderful and maybe trying this with him would help Diana with what she needed to do, get over James Potter.

"Yeah, alright." she agreed and Matthew's gaze was now full of shock.

"Wait, really?" he asked.

"Yeah, let's go out and try this because I fancy you a lot and I don't think just kissing in the corridor is going to satisfy me much longer." she tried to say nonchalantly but couldn't help the grin that made its way onto her face.

"Y'know, I fancy you too." Matthew whispered as he leaned in closer to her and grabbed her chin in between his index finger and thumb.

"Well, Christ I hope so." Diana laughed and leaned in to connect their lips. They pulled away and Mathhew had a smile on his face.