chapter 3

6 years later

I woke up from my deep slumber as the sun beams shone through my window, the wind outside was a breezy one and it made my lacey curtain flout softly. It was a fine morning for me as I took the day off. I grew up to be a doctor like my uncle, and lord my job wasn't as easy as I imagined. I graduated from oxford one year ago and I started to work at a hospital near my flat in Manchester not long after I finished my college degree. I am not planning to work just yet, but they had offered me something big which I would not dare to reject. They saw me for much more than just a doctor, they saw my ability to deduct everything that had happened in a surgery or an accident. And because of that, they were sending me to London where there was a grand hospital that needed people like me, and for the event that had happened, I planned to move to London, and I will start my work next month. And oh Lord they paid me with a mount of pound. And I know what were you thinking, what have ever happened to my dream where I fell in love for the first time. Well, I already left it all behind and I am planning to move on. It was only a childish dream that will never come true.

Let us forget about my dream and focused on my activity. As I got up I quickly bathed with cold water and it instantly refreshed my whole body. After I finished my daily morning activity, I changed my towel to my daily clothing that was a dress. It was not elegant at all, it was only a simple dressing that all women wear on this very fine Victorian era. Spencer jacket, bonnet, and long dresses. And all young ladies ought to carry their umbrella to prevent tanning skin on our pale white skin and of course gloves. After I wore everything that is needed, it was time for me to go and have myself a day off, away from the hospital world, and into my own.

***

When I got back from the bookshop, bringing all kind of books back to my flat. A letter was laying on the floor. It was written my name and my flat address, and that handwriting was familiar. When I looked at it very carefully, it was my uncle John's. He had sent me countless letters along with my parent's. And this is actually the first time since I graduated, he had left me to Afghanistan when I started to study at Oxford. I put down all of my books to the nearby table and bent down to reach for the letter. I opened it, and it says;

London, January 6th, 1887

Dearest (y/n)

How are you my dear, and congratulation for your graduation. I am sorry that I couldn't be there to watch you, but life for a doctor in a military who was sent to Afghanistan and was shot on one of my legs was hard. And I am sorry this is my first letter since I went away. And not to mention that my brother and his wife were not there as well, for they were away in France. And now they are away again to somewhere near Spain. Your father had sent me a letter which he asked me to ask you to come to London and stay with me and my roommate. You'll love him.

This is the address you'll need

221B BAKER STREET

Oh and I almost forgot, Mrs. Hudson, will expecting you tomorrow

Sincerely yours, John Watson'

I folded my letter and put it down. My father had asked my uncle to keep an eye on me since I'll be staying in London. Which is a good thing, because I didn't have to search for the nearest and the cheapest flat in London. Sure the hospital paid me well, but I need some saving too. Maybe I should've packed all of my belongings. But not all of them though. This flat that I currently live in was not a rented place. I actually bought it with my money. Maybe if I have a spare time I could come and stay the night. But for now, London seems a nice place. I took a carriage and asked the coachman to take me to the train station.

***

221B BAKER STREET

I knocked on the door for many times, but there was no answer. I knocked again. I could hear a voice, calling a name, and then the door was open by an old lady.

"Hello, you must be Mrs. Hudson. John had told me so much about you"

"You must be John's niece, how lovely to meet you at last! You are much more beautiful than John had described you. And you must be exhausted, not to worry dearie. I should bring you a tea while you unloaded your heavy trunk in your new shared flat" she said while dragging me inside.

"Please mam, no need to do such thing. I am no more than just a girl"

"But you must! I insisted" she led me to a door where 221B was written. She knocked on the door and left me alone. The door was unlocked, so I went inside without even looking or saying excuse me. Then I started to yell and called his name

"Uncle John! It is me, your niece" there was a faint noise came from the study room (I think). When I got closer, the faint sound became clear and it was the sound of a violin and it was very messy of notes. Then it stopped. And something very strange that it was a man who played the violin. And what a dangerously handsome man too. He had sharp cheek bones and a very sharp color of an eye. And it was very tempting not to look at him. And he looked like someone that I dreamt once. Then, the man finally spoke.

"So, (y/n) Watson is it? The only girl in the Watson family trees. A very highly intelligent for a woman at your age. Graduated from Oxford and work for the nearest hospital near your flat back in Manchester. You got the second best score even though you are more intelligent than that. You had rejected almost everyone who was willing to be your partner even if they were the same as you" he walked closer to me.

"I am so sorry to be rude. But who are you?"

"My name Is Sherlock Holmes, and I am your uncle's roommate"

(first publish: the 3rd of October, 2015)

(edited: the 11th of August 2017)