[café girl]: Carlos Sainz

Carlos admired you from his table in the coffee shop he'd decided to grab a drink from whilst on his daily run round Madrid

Carlos admired you from his table in the coffee shop he'd decided to grab a drink from whilst on his daily run round Madrid. A small grin crossed his face because he noticed the focused look you had as you took yet another customer's order, small strands falling out of your messy bun and framing your tanned face. He observed the brightness in your eyes and the way you bit your soft lips in concentration, how you brought tranquility and brightness to this stressful environment.

Being a barista in this tiny yet ridiculously busy café wasn't always easy, especially during rush hour it seemed as if everyone in Madrid had decided to stop in before work. "So a cappuccino with oat milk?" "Yep" you sighed and looked out the window at seemingly never ending line of customers. You let your vision skim over the minimalist interior and all the lucky customers who'd managed to grab a table, your eyes catching those of a particularly handsome man. His dark hair was ruffled from exercise and you noticed his eyes were a honey brown that complimented his olive skin, he noticed you and offered a flustered yet warm smile which you returned but your eyes were pulled away by your boss "back to work y/n!"

You huffed and put your head down taking the next order. Just that small encounter had put butterflies in Carlos' stomach, he'd barely touched his coffee since being here - too encompassed by you and your glowing energy. After sitting for nearly 10 minutes he decided he had to do something about it, bringing his nearly full coffee with him to join the long queue; hoping to be served by you again. As he stood in the line among countless commuters, all checking their watches, phones, emails in anticipation for their undeniably boring office jobs. It made him reflect on how lucky he was to have the job he did, although it was stressful sometimes he was so grateful for his life and yet, somehow it felt incomplete - a special someone was missing. His team mate Charles and so many of his friends on the grid always had someone to bring with them to Grand Prixs, to celebrate with after a win, to cuddle up with at night. He didn't just want it, he needed it and somehow you seemed the perfect fit - he hadn't even spoken to you properly but was drawn to you like a magnet. Whilst waiting Carlos worked out his plan to ask you to dinner in a nice way however when he got to the front of the line he was lost for words, focused on your light eyes both of you a little breathless due to the other's beauty. "Um, can I get you anything?" You giggled by the pause you had both taken in that moment. "Something for your girlfriend perhaps?" You nodded at the full cup already in his hand, assuming he was buying something for his partner.

He was shocked by your question and in an attempt to reassure you of his 'singleness' he rather abruptly came out with, "What? No!" All of a sudden, Carlos' plan went down the drain and he was trying to reconcile the situation he'd fluffed. "So...what can I get you?" You asked slightly confused with a smile. "Can I get a vanilla latte with your number?" Carlos blurted quite quietly, nervousness getting the best of him. You only caught the first bit due to his whisper, "so a vanilla latte, with...what was that last bit?" You looked into his honey eyes and sighed subconsciously, appreciating his handsome face, licking your lips. "Um, with your number please" he looked at you hopefully.

Your eyes went wide - of course you'd been thinking about how handsome he was but not with the intent of him thinking the same, "I don't even know your name!" You exclaimed in excitement.

"It's Carlos" he replied, waiting wishfully for your response.

"Well Carlos I suppose with all this effort you went to I can spare you my details" you hummed and grabbed a pen, scribbling your number on a napkin, signing it with your name and a small love heart. "Y/n" Carlos read the napkin "that's a beautiful name, I'll text you" he said, internally thanking god before walking to the other end of the counter to collect his order.

You nodded with a wide grin and turned to the next customer - you didn't want to hold up the line. What even just happened... you thought to yourself.