[youngest on the grid]: Lando norris

A/n written before Bahrain 2022, obviously fictional and not based on real events.

Word count: 1281

You'd done it. You'd finally done it.

You'd managed to land your dream job at McLaren as their new head engineer for Lando Norris, fresh out of University. It was unheard of. You couldn't believe it when you got a second interview, let alone when you were told you'd got the job, starting next season. And it had all come so quickly that the first race of the season was already upon you, and it was a whirlwind.

A wrack of nerves haunted you as you watched the orange car, that you'd designed and adjusted accordingly, speeding across the track, a mere blur on the screen. The number 4 was barely visible as Norris overtook Russel for third. "Stay strong Lando, hold your position now. Checkered flag in veiw." You confirmed with your driver as the checkered flag was raised, "an incredible drive. Well done!" You heard the radio crackle as Lando cheered and whooped, "The car is amazing! You're amazing!" He said, ecstatic by his podium.

You'd gingerly taken off your headphones to hear the tv, ready for the inevitable entourage of critics from the commentators. "And what is this?! Lando Norris brings home a podium for McLaren here at Bahrain!" Ted Kravirz exclaimed "Such a difference from last year"

"Well this drastic change in McLaren's performance was not to be expected, especially with a new engineer on the team." A sky sports presenter commented "but what an unbelievable debut from Miss y/l/n. The youngest engineer on the grid to date, aged only 22" you felt the heavy hand of Zak Brown pat your back encouragingly his American voice booming praises and grinning ear to ear from the positive comments and the unexpected race result. "You're amazing y/n!" "We should've got you in here sooner!" It seemed as if the whole team was cheering and clapping for you, an immense proudness came over you and a red hue came to your cheeks from all the praise.

In an attempt to cool off, your flustered self stepped outside of the McLaren garage, hoping to find some peace and quiet. Wondering around the paddock until you came across a slightly dark hallway free of people, perfect. You leant against the wall and caught your breath, your mind buzzing with excitement. Just as you took out your phone to let your parents know of your achievements you were interrupted.

"Y/n?" A British voice bounced off the wall and you turned to see Norris, shielding his eyes with one hand. "What are you doing here?" He questioned as he approached you curiously.

"Um well" you stuttered whilst trying to find an explanation of why you were lurking in this hallway rather than celebrating with the rest of the team. Instead you were truthful and answered him honestly, "just needed some fresh air away from everyone...what are you doing here?" You realised it was equally strange for the driver who was lugging a trophy round with him to not be celebrating.

"I come here to hide from the media people." He reflected, rubbing the back of his neck thoughtfully. "People in general really" he chuckled and glanced down at you, acknowledging your rosey cheeks. An intense eye contact was formed as you noted his handsome face and bright eyes.

"You were amazing today!" You brought yourself out of the trance that was admiring his features by changing the subject. "I couldn't have done it without you" Lando replied with a smirk, thinking about how really couldn't have got this result last year with his old car and engineer. "The car had so much power! I don't know what you've done to it but it's bloody amazing!"

"Well I'm glad you like it" you nodded with a warm smile. Almost instinctively he pulled you in for a hug, and you exhaled a loud sigh - unaware that you had definitely needed this embrace, you both did. All of these emotions were twirling around inside of you both, excitement and exhilaration, it was good to step back and take time to slow down.

"Your hair smells really nice" Lando mumbled without thinking, hitting himself internally for letting that slip, I can't believe I just said that.

"Thanks?" You replied with a slightly confused chuckle, rubbing his back with your hands. Was it just your imagination or could you feels sparks when your fingers brushed over the bare skin of his neck, unaware that goosebumps raised where you touched. Lando suppressed a gasp as tingles spread across his back whilst your hands trailed his spine, savouring the feeling of your warm touch. Much to his dismay you started to pull away, and so almost subconsciously, he brought you closer. Wrapping his hands around your waist now, instead of your shoulders.

You were glad to be in this dimly lit hallway, for it meant he could not see your blushed face from the slightly more intimate hold. "You're the best thing that's happened to me" Lando reflected and whispered into your hair that he did truly enjoy the coconut scent of.

"I wouldn't go that far! That's just your trophy talking" You giggled and looked up from his chest to his cool blue eyes causing your noses to brush. "I don't think so" he mumbled and your breath hitched in your throat and this sudden contact, the close proximities making your cheeks glow red.

Lando's mouth closed, having prior been open to say something more, stopping to admire your beauty. You'd known each other for only a month, only interacting in fleeting business meetings and car debriefs. Only now could you both truly appreciate one another, taking time to look at each other intently. Slowly Lando leant down closer to your lips and you licked your own alluringly, awaiting his kiss. It was sweet and soft, your lips moving in time together perfectly. You felt as he smiled momentarily before resuming the kiss he was enjoying so much. His warm lips against yours was almost heavenly and you allowed yourself to relish in the feeling for over a minute.

But all of a sudden you pulled away abruptly, leaving a shocked look on the Brit's face. You brain was overwhelmed by the thoughts of the risk you had just taken, the consequences it would have, the shame you felt for your carelessness. "What is it?" Lando asked with pleading eyes, wondering if he'd done something wrong.

"I'm sorry um" you wavered slightly, taken aback by his vivid blue eyes once again, "that was very unprofessional of me"

"Y/n..." he sighed and brought his hand up to caress your cheek, but you flinched and stepped back. "Don't be like this. I know I wasn't the only one who felt that connection between us"

"This job just means so much too me. I worked so hard for it I don't want to do anything to sabotage it" you blurted out, thinking about how all those years ago your mother had advised you to not mix work and pleasure. It was advice you'd stuck by your entire life, where you willing to change it now?

"Give us a chance" Lando asked, still confused and his brain in a haze from the recent events, neither of you had ever expected this to happen and much like the race it was all very fast. "Please. For me"

"I barely know you" you scoffed at his pleads, reminding yourself as much as him, "You know me well enough, and I know you want to get to know me more. Or at least that's how I feel" he placed his hands on your waist and pulled you flush against his toned chest, he was very convincing.