| Diluc [School AU]

"Isn't that the one who can't even control her vision?"

"Yup, I heard she got suspended because she 'accidentally' burned half of the library down."

"Freak, why can't she just learn how to use it like the rest of us?"

Voices muttered behind me. I gulped and kept my head down, walking through the halls to class. I didn't even know why I attended if that was the treatment I received.

I sat down and gazed out of the window. I just wanted to get the day over with, without any trouble.
A few students walked in, four of which I recognized.

Kaeya, Diluc, and two others.

The brothers took their seats. One of the other two sat behind me, and the first approached me.
"Y/N! I need your help with something."

I looked up. I hadn't expected anyone to come near me. "Uh... yeah?"

"Does this essay make sense?"

I took the paper into my hands and started to read. I heard the girl in front of me mutter something, but all thoughts left my head as I felt something hit me.

I turned around and noticed her friend was throwing little crumpled paper balls at me. "Please can you stop...?" I asked, in an attempt not to draw attention to myself.

They ignored me and continued throwing things with muffled laughter. I grew more and more frustrated by the second.

I didn't realize it at first, but as I was glaring behind me the paper I was holding was starting to burn. That was their plan all along.

"Ugh! Look what you've done now!" She shrieked, pulling the half burned paper away from my hands. "I worked super hard on that essay, how could you?"

My eyes widened and I stood up, watching the ashes fall on to the floor.
"I-I'm sorry, it was an accident! I honestly didn't mean to!"

She rolled her eyes.
"Now what will I tell the teacher?!"

Before I could respond, somebody walked towards us. "That's all right." We spotted Diluc, one of the popular guys, glancing at the two of us. "I'll tell the teacher exactly what happened."

She began to grow flustered. Just by that, I knew she had a crush on him. And I couldn't exactly blame her, he was flawless.
"O-Oh! Yeah, Y/N burned my essay... but it's okay! Diluc, would you mind helping me rewrite-"

"No, I'll tell your teacher that your friend was deliberately throwing paper at Y/N so that she'll do your homework for you." He turned around, and I smiled at him as he went back to his seat.

"This isn't over, Y/N." I got two dirty looks from both her and her friend.

---

"Thanks for that." I said to Diluc as everybody else left class. He was packing up his things into his bag.

"It's not a problem, I have a pyro vision as well. They're a pain to master."

I nodded. "Yeah, I burn everything I touch."

He gazed at me and exhaled.
"Is it true? That rumour that you burnt down the library."

I sighed and looked down.
"So even that gossip has reached you, huh. It's true, I got suspended for a week. I didn't mean to. Those guys from earlier kept pushing books from the other side and they landed on my head, and when I pushed it back the whole lot caught fire."

Diluc smiled. I hadn't seen him smile before, it was a nice sight.
"Seems you're a lot stronger than you think. I can train you, if you'd like."

"You'd do that?"

"Yes, it's no problem. I have to say, I'm interested in your abilities. Burning down an entire library? Impressive."

---

A few weeks passed, and Diluc trained me how to control my vision. He was right; I really was stronger than I had originally thought. Though in the process, we became really good friends and ended up spending a lot of time together.

"I seriously can't thank you enough for helping me. I think I might've been expelled by now if you didn't talk to me that day." I mentioned, sitting down.

"It's okay, really. Like I said before, you fascinate me."

"That's still the case?"

"Of course. If anything, you've piqued my interest even more. I'd like to learn more about you, Y/N."