| Scaramouche

[implied 3.1 spoilers....... (starts sobbing uncontrollably)]

Scaramouche rolled his eyes at me and tossed his head back. "I don't need your pity. What I need, is for you to understand why I'm distancing myself. It's not personal."

I sighed sadly and nodded. "I understand."

He stood up to leave, but for some odd reason I didn't want him to. I felt horrible. Many people had betrayed him in his past, and I didn't want to become one of them. "Scaramouche?"

He stopped in his tracks.
"What now?"

My gaze averted to the floor and I took a deep breath.
"I just wanted to say... that I'm sorry for everything that's happened in your past. You didn't deserve all of those things to happen to you, and I hope you will feel happier soon."

I heard a groan erupt from him, and that was my cue to stop talking. My heart was pounding; even though I'd known him for a long time, hearing his backstory shattered my heart.

"You're... saying it as if I'm not happy as I am right now."

I bit my bottom lip, trying to hold back my response... but I just couldn't help myself. "Are you? Because... it doesn't exactly seem that way."

Scaramouche's hand clenched into a fist. At first I thought he was preparing to punch me in the jaw, but I was wrong. Very wrong, in fact.
"Of course I'm not happy."

Though his back was turned, it looked like he was holding back tears. I was at a loss for words.
"They all betrayed me. I've been alone in this world for so long now, I shouldn't be acting like this."

"It's okay-"

"No, it's not okay!" He turned around and glared at me. His expression was angry, though tears were falling from his eyes. "None of this is okay!"

"I was going to say it's okay to be upset. I mean, if I were in your situation, then... I would've broken down a long time ago."

He sniffed and wiped the teardrops from his crystal blue eyes, before looking down at the ground.
"If you think you can help me by comparing your mindset to mine, you're mistaken... people would think lowly of me if they saw me in this state. I bet you do."

"I don't. You don't need to tell other people. You don't even have to tell me, but... I'm telling you now you won't be able to bottle all of this in for much longer." I walked towards him and watched as he lifted his head up, his eyes meeting with my own. "I don't think you deserve any of this, you should be treated better."

I don't know what it was that I had said, but something in that statement caused his emotions to come pooling out. Scaramouche's eyes welled up with tears once more and he covered his face. "Stop... I can't..." He added, between sobs.

"I'll leave you be-"

"Stay. You can't leave me as well."

Before I could respond, he wrapped his arms around me. It was so uncharacteristic of him that I stumbled, but balanced myself so I didn't fall down.

"Y/N. You won't leave, will you? I'm strong now. I won't let you. I won't let you go."

I wasn't exactly sure what to do, though either way he began to calm down. His hand reached up to touch my hair.

"You won't be the fourth. You're the only one who I can talk to. I will protect you. I won't let you go, no matter what."

Eventually, he pulled away.
"Fine. One more time. I'll put my trust into you, you better not ruin it."
Scaramouche turned around and walked away, as if everything that he had said before was in my head.

Scaramouche looked at me once more before he left the room. "...Thanks, I guess I needed that."